Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

Reference the codes on bottle:

1637856487608.jpg

Those solvent-refined Group II base stocks by Calumet naturally have very low VI around 100, which is the typical VI for solvent-refined Group I mineral oil.

I couldn't find more info on the Shell "INT BSOIL Gr II+ 5 CST Base Oil Trading USA" base stock. I wonder if II+ is a typo, as I find it hard to believe they can increase the VI much beyond 100 without hydroprocessing. Perhaps they meant I+ or II.

An interesting observation is that mixing of a Group II+ base stock (VI close to but not equal to or higher than 120) with a Group III+ base stock (VI much higher than 120) would make a Group III base stock (VI 120 or higher); so, the base oil would still be a Group III synthetic, despite having a major conventional part.

Last edited:
So, they do skip letter I. ;)

Internal traceability must refer to tracing the actual formulation (revision), as different plants can produce the same or a different formulation on a given manufacturing date. Plant 102 precedes it by "RN," clearly an acronym for "revision number."
You were/are absolutely correct!

I looked up Plant 102 in Paulsboro, New Jersey, which blends Delvac and TGMO. It also housed the ExxonMobil lubricant research and development center. However, they moved the R&D center to Clinton, New Jersey. The Paulsboro lubricant manufacturing and packaging plant remains open.

Here are pictures of the plant.

The plant had its recent troubles. It got sued in by New jersey in 2019 for polluting the environment with PCB, and it had a union dispute in 2020.

Last edited:
Running 0W-40 in a GM engine as of last fall. The V8 vehicle runs well on it; it's terribly quiet as compared to Mobil's unsatisfying and noisy vanilla 5W-30. It should be as it's a wholly different animal.

The V8 started beautifully this morning at -10 degs F here in Palmer, AK. It was not plugged in.

For comparison, with 5W-30 synthetic in its sump, it typically needs to be "plugged in" awhile before I start the vehicle -- without straining the starter in these temps.

Gosh, I just checked! It's still -10 degrees at 11:11 am this morning. There's a mighty chill in the air.

Last edited:
There is something wrong with either your starter or your battery if an oil with a 5W winter rating will not permit unaided starting at -10.
No. The starter and battery are fine. The vehicle starts okay with a 5W oil.

I said it "strains" the starter, as in turns over more slowly at -10 degs. Did the same at -17 degs the other day as well.

Don't assume.

I didn’t assume anything. What you posted was that the car needed to be plugged in a while. That’s a bit different then it starts but with somewhat of a strain (especially now that you’ve amended your post).

The other thing is it’s quite possible that the 30 grade is thinner than the 40 grade at that temperature. The influence of the winter rating for the 40 grade will not be apparent at that temperature.

I didn’t assume anything. What you posted was that the car needed to be plugged in a while. That’s a bit different then it starts but with somewhat of a strain (especially now that you’ve amended your post).

The other thing is it’s quite possible that the 30 grade is thinner than the 40 grade at that temperature. The influence of the winter rating for the 40 grade will not be apparent at that temperature.
I amend posts several times before my English is to my satisfaction. Usually, two or three times, and sometimes that isn't enough. To that end, my original post you commented on stands as is. It wasn't changed whatsoever.

You're teaching moment has failed with me. Go somewhere else or come live in frozen Alaska for 25 years and see how things REALLY are. Have a wonderful day.

Where I live is irrelevant to the comments I made. But having said that, I live in Wisconsin where -25°F is not uncommon. My daughter used to go to college in northern Wisconsin where -35 was not unheard of. I know the big men in Alaska see colder temperatures depending on where they live, but it’s not that I don’t know what I’m talking about.

4WD

I looked up Plant 102 in Paulsboro, New Jersey, which blends Delvac and TGMO. It also housed the ExxonMobil lubricant research and development center. However, they moved the R&D center to Clinton, New Jersey. The Paulsboro lubricant manufacturing and packaging plant remains open.

Here are pictures of the plant.

The plant had its recent troubles. It got sued in by New jersey in 2019 for polluting the environment with PCB, and it had a union dispute in 2020.
That’s “packaged” Delvac - bulk volumes come from BMT
Clinton has EMRE - not exclusive to lubricants

So can anyone decipher this code in layman’s terms or English? Thank You

Attachments

• E9CD07EE-FB93-48E7-A61C-BE3960A2A9E3.jpeg
    E9CD07EE-FB93-48E7-A61C-BE3960A2A9E3.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 14