Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

Hard to say what is truly being used unless you had them broken down but my guess is they are using AN's now in most of their oils. They seem to prefer AN's to esters. AN's do offer some advantages especially in competing surface space.
Who does FTIR analysis in the US? That would make things pretty easy. ;)

Who does FTIR analysis in the US? That would make things pretty easy. ;)

I have an email in to my local university that has a FTIR machine to find out if they will do it and how much it would cost.

By the looks of it the analysis isn't all that expensive, but to read the results and get an interpretation of what is in the sample may cost some serious coin. I would imagine if we had just the raw data showing the spikes in the different wavelengths we could probably piece it together?

I have an email in to my local university that has a FTIR machine to find out if they will do it and how much it would cost.

By the looks of it the analysis isn't all that expensive, but to read the results and get an interpretation of what is in the sample may cost some serious coin. I would imagine if we had just the raw data showing the spikes in the different wavelengths we could probably piece it together?
Thank you. Yes, all we need are the spikes.

Regarding the shear stability of the 0w40 and even their 0w50, I think it's by design. I think they actually expect their 0w40/50, with a lot of VII to shear down, will get less viscosity (hydrodynamic) drag near the end of the race. This frees up power gradually and then rely on thicker (Stribeck) tribofilms early in the race for durability, and lowering viscosity friction for more speed late in the race. Making a shear stable oil is not a hard thing to do, so there is purpose behind it.

Last edited:
***UPDATE***

I haven't heard anything back from the university regarding running FTIR.

I did reach out to a company called BramChem Testing Lab in Toronto that will do it for $125.

I've also left Lake Speed Jr. a comment on one of his videos if he would run FTIR on the new M1 SP 0W-40.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but according to Mobil 1's US site, the SP version's centistokes is now @ 13.8.

0W-40.jpg

The formulation has changed globally; Mobil 1 products in my neck of the woods has always been sourced from France and looking at Mobil's French website, it lists exactly the same specifications as the U.S. website.

The SP variant doesn't seem to have made it to the market here yet; all you can get is the SN variant for the time being.

Delvac 0W40 is CK-4/SN, has a pour point of -48C, flash point of 240C, hths of 4.1 and density of .879
Regarding the shear stability of the 0w40 and even their 0w50, I think it's by design. I think they actually expect their 0w40/50, with a lot of VII to shear down, will get less viscosity (hydrodynamic) drag near the end of the race. This frees up power gradually and then rely on thicker (Stribeck) tribofilms early in the race for durability, and lowering viscosity friction for more speed late in the race. Making a shear stable oil is not a hard thing to do, so there is purpose behind it.
It could be to achieve temporary shear. Provide the oil pressure required without the power robbing hths typically associated with SAE 50 grade engine oils.

and from what i read here is possible to be used in esp 5-30 too?
Wonder how often they have to change oil in those wind turbines? Around here, they are on top of mountains.

Our 2013 Q5 3.0T since new has mostly lived on Castrol 0W-40 and occasionally 5W-40. It's at 93k now and for the last oil change at 90k I used the updated Mobil 1 0W-40 SP. It was ok initially but I am noticing there is start-up chain tensioner noise (common with these engines) more often now a few thousand miles into the interval with this oil. Either it has sheared down and lost some viscosity, or it drains back from the tensioner into the pan more readily than Castrol, or both.

Could just be Canada, that's the price it is up here if you aren't getting it on sale at Canadian Tire.
Ha! I just stacked bonus Canadian Tire money on six 5 quart jugs of 0W40 FS Euro API SP. it worked out to be about $32 Canadian or $25 USD. I got rid of $150 in Canadian Tire money and ended up paying about $60 for 6 jugs.
Near as I can tell, specs are as follows;
40C 78.3
100C 13.8
150C hths 3.8?
PP -42C
FP 230C
P 930
Zn 1000
VI 182
Density.841
BN 10.7?
SA ??? 1.2