Update to previous post, also any ideas welcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an update to my previous post here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3868664#Post3868664

(Note: this is in the kia in my signature) The oil consumption has gotten worse, the M1 EP didn't make it 3500 miles without me having already added 2.5 qts of extra oil I had on hand. It was straight black too, just like before. No smoking to be seen, just disappearing. No leaks either, I've checked several times and had the shop check as well. I had already replaced the pcv before doing the oil change so that's not the problem. Fearing that it is probably the rings if I had to guess. I ran some MMO through for the last few days and changed it out yesterday, put some Pennzoil High Mileage in and another Fram Ultra filter. I will be putting a new oil pan on soon because the current one is rusted and paint is flaking off in thick pieces, afraid it will become compromised if hit hard enough. Will also be replacing the transmission filter and 4qts of fluid that come with dropping the pan. I just replaced the spark plugs, boots, wires, and coil packs this last weekend. And will also be replacing the O2 sensors as they haven't been replaced and have plenty of stuff caked on them after inspection. Am also replacing the cv axles this weekend as they started clicking a couple weeks ago. And about a month ago now I had to have the timing belt and all of that replaced again (had replaced close to 120k miles) because the hydraulic tensioner was faulty and the timing belt was jumping teeth (lucky it didn't cause any damage to be seen). All of that said and done, I'm assuming it will still be consuming oil. I am running some more seafoam and MMO through the gas here and there to help clean where possible as well. So does anyone think when I add oil to top off I should use like a 15w40 or something very thick to help maybe curve consumption? The car has also developed a rough idle, but the shop has checked timing several times and everything is on point in that area. Have already had camshaft and crankshaft sensors replaced as well. As you can see as much money as i've invested in this vehicle, I need it to stick around for a while. So I'm trying to at least stay on top of the oil situation. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Im not 100% sure but i remember something about rotted oil pans being paid for by kia....Don't quote me on it though if you want pm me and i will see if all-data lists any recalls on that

If it were me I would just cut my losses at this point. The car is only worth $2500 or so and if it has serious issues like you have described it could easily cost more than it is worth to fix.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
If it were me I would just cut my losses at this point. The car is only worth $2500 or so and if it has serious issues like you have described it could easily cost more than it is worth to fix.

This. It sounds like it needs an engine.

Honestly I would love to do this, but I have no backup options. Can't afford any kind of payment or to buy another vehicle. And If I were able to sell this one for 2500 or 3000 anything I could buy with that money would be in similar shape more or less.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Honestly I would love to do this, but I have no backup options. Can't afford any kind of payment or to buy another vehicle. And If I were able to sell this one for 2500 or 3000 anything I could buy with that money would be in similar shape more or less.

You could buy a Crown Vic
21.gif
It would be lower maintenance and less likely to nickel and dime you. Though gas mileage would certainly be worse.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This. It sounds like it needs an engine.

You'd think at 155k miles it wouldn't be time yet. I'm the second owner according to carfax and it has had proper maintenance its whole life. I just don't understand how it's gotten so rough so quick. I got the car at 105k miles.

What's the problem here? 2.5qts of oil in 3500 miles? My car has been doing that for the last 100K miles.

Just pick up some 20W-50 supertech @ wally world and pour it in, or 15W-40. It is not like you have to worry about cold starts.

+1.

Just keep adding oil to keep it going. If you can't afford to dump the money into the vehicle, plan at some point on getting another vehicle when this one dies.

I wouldnt waste time or money on anything you just said. Install a fram orange can and put in cheap conventional 20w50 and add a quart of lucas to the oil. Keep an eye on levels and keep it topped up and drive it til it wont anymore. In the meantime start saving money for a replacement. I wouldnt bother with the other work on it. If you could sell it and get 2500$, might be worth it. Maybe a downpayment on something to keep your monthly costs low.

It does get below freezing here in the winter time haha. The owner's manual says not to use 10w30 in temps under 0 degrees F. So I guess a thicker oil would probably be alright? It may get below 0 a time or two in the worst parts of winter here, but I wouldn't be driving at that time of day anyway...

All of the stuff listed has already been done or the parts have been purchased and will be installed very soon. I recently started looking at other options, but it was cheaper to buy a few parts instead of get a vehicle that needs work soon. All of the big maintenance jobs have been done on this car now. The only thing left to break is the engine itself or the transmission. I can't afford any kind of payment unless it's $50 a month and that would mean I probably just got another used car that will need work in the near future. I'm stuck in a [censored] situation all around. Thank you for the reply!

Thanks everyone! Although another vehicle would be ideal it really isn't an option. I will start saving up of course for another one and hopefully a year or so from now it will be more viable, hopefully longer! Until then I will start using a thicker oil, or at least topping off with it to start with. Like a stated above, the listed repairs/parts have been done already or are being done pretty much this weekend by me more or less (I consider it preventative maintenance from future problems). Let's hope she will keep running until it's time to let her go!

(Also I would like to clarify, in the first post at the top, when I say rough idle, I guess I mean it's not a perfect idle, but it isn't that bad. It isn't struggling to run for the most part. I'm not afraid to park it and leave it running to go inside somewhere or anything like that. I guess it's just part of the High Mileage territory along with oil consumption.)

That consumption isn't really that out of hand. Stop feeding it expensive oil. Cheap dino, check the oil often and just drive it. I wouldn't call it such a bad situation as you say. It will probably run forever like that.

Ga129,

Rough idle bothers me.

If it were my car, I would give the throttle body a good cleaning by hand, making sure any and all air ports in it are clean.

Then I would borrow a compression tester from a local auto parts store, and perform a compression test on the engine. That would let me know if I had a problem on one or more cylinders. It might also help you identify the cylinder that might be causing the oil consumption.

A free test would be if you can hold a screwdriver on or near the fuel injector to hear if it is clicking while the car idles. That just lets you know that it is triggering, not if the fuel spray pattern is good or not, nor if the fuel pressure is good.

BC.

It's fairly clean as I've cleaned it in the past, I just cleaned the MAF sensor yesterday as well. I'll try to clean the TB and related tubes again, can't hurt! Also, I just order a compression test kit that should be here soon, that is something I put on my list last week. I wanted one for my tool box anyway. Thank you for the tips! I'll report back by Sunday and let y'all know what I find for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back