Update on trying Mobil Super Synth 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few hundreds of miles, I am please to say that everything that was causing concerns have gone away. There is no longer a burning smell, nor weird engine sounds.
This is an update to my first time trying Mobil Super Synth 5W20 in my Mustang GT with a 4.6l V8. I purchased the oil mainly because of the rebate (which I finally received), and was curious about how it would perform compared to Motorcraft 5W20.
I am now very pleased when I start the engine. It seems to start very quickly, and hot restarts are definitely faster than before. It would have to crank a little longer on hot restarts with the Motorcraft oil. Never understood why it would, but since using Mobil Super Synth, I’ve never experienced it.
I would also like to thank all who have replied to my first post. I am learning more each day about things that mechanics and engineers have known for years. Got to start somewhere. Thank you BITOG!

I can't see how changing brands of oil would have any impact on hot restarts. I could see, maybe, and I mean maybe going from a 50 grade oil to a 20 grade might have a tiny impact on hot restarts, but not a brand change of the same grade. I agree with Triple_Se7en, and don't think the cure will be long lived, sorry.

It could be that the M1 needed to mix with and dilute the used motorcraft left in the engine before its properties tool hold. I would just run the regular OCI and see how you feel at the end. M1 SS is not going to hurt any engine so don't panic and dump it early.

I will agree on the magnetec. My tacoma V6 seemed to quiet down some when i ran it. The consensus was the Magnetec runs on the thicker side of the 5W30 range. Pouring it in, it sure seemed thicker going into the funnel than the PP I had been running. I looked at the bottle and the foil seal twice to make sure I didn't pick up a 10W or 40 wt oil by mistake.
smile.gif

I switched from magnetec to M1 AFE on the next OCI and didn't notice a big difference in sound so the magnetec might have sheered down some at the end of a 6K OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back