Update on the sludged 3.4/ 4 runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 side done now the other side

-

[ June 29, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Charged up ]

You're still planning to use Auto-RX, right?

It's going to be interesting to see how well Auto-RX cleans this up.

Try using some diesel fuel to clean up the rest of the gunk on the motor and valve covers. I would get a good parts washer brush to do it. You need some type of cleaner to get the rest of that crap off there.

I would change oil immediately after tightening things back up. I would opt for a diesel oil or oil with high detergents and change oil every 1500 miles for the next 9000 miles . I would then run Mobil Drive Clean Synth Blend at 3000 mile intervals twice. You can then go with your regular 3000 miles with dino or a better choice would be 5000 mile intervals or 5 months.

You could certainly try additives like Auto-RX along with the above. It wouldn't hurt to try it in your case or you can just rely on the oil detergents and frequent changes to see how that helps.

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles.

[ June 29, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Correction!

In the above post I meant to say "5000 mile or 5 months on synthetics". Wouldn't want to create sludge all over again!
pat.gif

Another thing to do is change your PCV valve and flush and refill the coolant. Use the Toyota red and distilled water.

Sorry!
wink.gif

Did you do a compression test? I wonder about the smoke. All the sludge can't be good for wear? Keep us informed I'd like to know the results.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Try using some diesel fuel to clean up the rest of the gunk on the motor and valve covers. I would get a good parts washer brush to do it. You need some type of cleaner to get the rest of that crap off there.

Bad idea. You sure don't want the diesel fuel or any other solvent entering the engine.

I would change oil immediately after tightening things back up. I would opt for a diesel oil or oil with high detergents and change oil every 1500 miles for the next 9000 miles . I would then run Mobil Drive Clean Synth Blend at 3000 mile intervals twice. You can then go with your regular 3000 miles with dino or a better choice would be 5000 mile intervals or 5 months.

Waste of time. Use Auto-Rx and get the job done right.

You could certainly try additives like Auto-RX along with the above. It wouldn't hurt to try it in your case or you can just rely on the oil detergents and frequent changes to see how that helps.

Strictly speaking, Auto-Rx is not an oil additive. Whatever we call it, it works.

[ June 30, 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

See those covers on the inside of the valve cover? They hide baffles for the PCV system. I hope you can unbolt those and clean 'em out, 'cause I guarantee they are full of sludge!! I've seen it make a big difference in the PCV system operation, and I've seen 'em sludge up on otherwise un-sludged motors. On some I've had to pop off rivet heads to get to them and then drill & tap the valve cover for new bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back