Update on the New Mobil 1 R Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with George, the ExxonMobil site supporter. Very nice guy. Here is what he has to say about the oil.

quote:

Mike, again thank you for the call on the Mobil 1 R. We put in requests with
Mobil regarding availability and should have something by Monday. And certainly
will post on Bob's site. I immediately went to the site looking for the
discussion but could not find it but will obviously look again, thank you.
Obviously I am most interested in having this oil available as we hve supplied
the oil to Penske racing for the past year in 5 gallon pails. It *is* an
incredible, state of the art oil... It is what Rusty Wallace and all have been
running; except Ryan who is running a 1A version of the oil...
George Morrison

buster, when will this Mobil 1 R oil be available? And I take it that a lot of NASCAR people are using Mobil 1 R. If this is true, I find it very interesting. Because just a few years ago when I bought some Amsoil stuff, I received some paperwork, and there was some sort of statement that 75% of NASCAR drivers were using Amsoil. Kind of interesting if they are actually using Mobil 1.

The base stock may be Mobil's, but I really doubt is what you would get OTC.....I'm willing to bet big cash it is a custom blend.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
The base stock may be Mobil's, but I really doubt is what you would get OTC.....I'm willing to bet big cash it is a custom blend.
Rick

Notice he talks about Ryan Newman running an A1 version of this oil. I imagine they are always playing with formulations. It's not out of the question to think they might release a version that has been used for the last year while admitting they are already moving on.

But...

I'm surprised they'd bother with all the things that are required in a steet oil when they blend a pure racing oil. That stuff only has to run 550 miles. Sludge prevention? Who cares. Then again, racing might be a good place to do accelerated life testing...

Whenever this stuff comes out in Australia (will probably be a year later!!) I'm gonna do a 3k oil UOA shootout between the best oils OTC in my 200SX. It'll be a good test as my car is driven hard for long periods at least twice a month, will see the 1/4 mile every month (13.4 atm) and driven on the street like a hi powered turbo car should! The contestants will be;

-Motul 300V 5W30 (In there now)
-Redline 5W30 (Next up)
-Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 (Hopefully it'll be out here by then)

K&N Filters being used. I hope someone does a similar thing!

The quote above is from George Morrison, the AVlube Exxonmobil sit sponsor. He should be chiming in soon on this oil and what it is. The 1A version is the latest and improved version of the R oil. They wouldt release that special of a formula to the public. Very few probaly know what that is. R has been around for awile from what I understand.

I'd be pretty excited about this if I were most people. Mobil usually doesn't offer it's "elite" grades of oils every where or at all sometimes. 5w-50 Rally grade is offered in Europe and D1 is hard to find. The R oil is going to be a huge seller IMO. This plus the 5w-40 will give people more choices to chose from. They will all be readily available too. All we know so far is that the R oil contains much more anti-wear additives and FModifiers for more HP. Could be a kick @ss oil and most likely it will be bc Mobil doesn't make a bad one.

[ November 08, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Who knows this could be the oil they need to truly compete with boutique oil like Motul,Redline,Neo, Shell Helix Ultra. Torco......

Buster,

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm beginning to think your on Exxon Mobil's payroll!
grin.gif

ha! I can see why you think that. Trust me, I'm not. You could say the same about me being on Amsoil's payroll. I talk quite a bit about those two oils.
cheers.gif

The thing that I don't get it that M-1 is already supposed to be "the best"...why are people that use it "fooled" into thinking it is and yet we need another M-1 formulation to improve what?

Those interested in using "lesser" Mobil products can use their blends or conventional lubes, M-1 should already be their best or racing product...

Racing oils and street oil are two different animals. Racing oil usually doesn't have detergants/dispersants etc etc that street oils require. Mobil 1 Racing may be useless as a street oil. We really need to see a VOA before discussing it IMO.

quote:

Racing oil usually doesn't have detergants/dispersants etc

My mechanic uses Valvoline Racing in his S6, he claims it *does* have detergents. He changes it every 2000 miles though. 10w-40 in winter and 20w-50 in summer, I believe.

I've personally seen the drums of Mobil1 racing oil in the garage areas of Penske's champ car teams when they were still in the series. They were using 5w-30 weight in their high strung turbo'd Honda champ car engines. I was quite surprised at the thin weight and why they wouldnt use 10w-30 at least ( the outside temps at the race were in excess of 90 degrees the year I was there in Toronto), must be a great oil though. If they offer this over the counter they would have to introduce some detergents wouldnt they ?, most real racing oils have very little detergents in them to reduce detonation concerns.

Yes, they will and are. It should be a awesome oil.
smile.gif

Dr.T, good point. They mentioned in the article that "people will start to see there engines lasting longer". Well, I thought NOTHING OUT-PERFORMED Mobil 1!! Mobil 1 15w-50, Delvac 1 and maybe the new 5w-40 are oils that are as good as the high end lubes, but I think the 30wts are not as good as they could be. Amsoil and Redline give you more and don't fully comply to API. As said many times M1 is the best OTC choice in the $4 range. The R oil could be the best of all, but that remains to be seen.

This oil will have detergents and the article clearly states it can be used in normal cars like Honda Civics.

If Mobil uses an optimum level of ZDDP, they will not be able to license this Mobil R formulation according to the API guidelines. So it will be interesting to see how it's labelled...
wink.gif

TS

Originally posted by TooSlick:
[QB] If Mobil uses an optimum level of ZDDP, they will not be able to license this Mobil R formulation according to the API guidelines. So it will be interesting to see how it's labelled...
wink.gif

If they use the same amount as in the 15w50, they can get the API doughnut.

GManII,

There are no phosphorus limits on xw-40 and xw-50 grades. There is an explicit limit of 1000 ppm on P for the xw-20 and xw-30 grades. The limit is part of the API, SL specification - it's not just on the GF-3 oils.

TS

The topic thread reads :Update on the New Mobil 1 R Oil".
Ok, where is the "updated" information we are all waiting for?
I have a question...
What does a "racing" engine oil have to do and for how long?
TBN 3.0 ?
ZDDP 400 PPM?
FMs ??
DDs???
ect???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back