Update on Black Box in cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct, gtx.
Nitsa(sp?) requires manufacturers to NOT have speedometers read less than actual speed.
ergo: most all speedometers read fast.
5-10%.
The 'box' would store the indicated speed; up to you to prove the speedometer is 'fast'.

I put larger tires than OEM on my truck. My speedo is about 5% below actual. I've verified this with my GPS device which reports speed fairly accurately. With my old tires, it was pretty much spot on.

I can’t wait for after market goodies which will somehow rig the black box, unless a law will pass strictly prohibiting their tampering! Have we not seen this with ECUs or PCMs so that we sacrifice mileage for performance.
lol.gif

Lets see....We've got satelites high above, with the ability of keeping tabs on us. We've got photo-radar vehicles parked to catch us speeding, we've got photo-radar units hard mounted in intersections to catch us running that red light. We've got police cameras mounted around our cities watching us interract with each other. We've got the government watching all our personal financial, banking, internet, and phone activities...
****, I think a black box in my car is a WONDERFUL idea..........

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
I read somewhere that speedo's are allowed to have a 6% error to account for different tires sizes.
Anyone know about this?

I once saw an SAE specification that requires speedometers to read within -1% / +3% of actual speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back