Update for Western Canada re: Mobil 1 SS 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked today to a guy in Toronto, Imperial Oil's HQ - lubricants and specialties division and was told that M1 SS 0W30 is starting to be available in Eastern Canada now, it's just a matter of few weeks, maybe a month till they start trucking it out West. Apparently Imperial Oil (Esso) will be bringing it from US for now, maybe later they will start producing it locally. Price-wise he wasn't sure how much it will be.

After reading some more and considering your input I've decided to give this 0W30 a try. Winter is coming, cold starts, low temperatures. Still not sure which one, though: Mobil 1 or Amsoil 2000 series.

You guys out west in Alberta definitely need the 0w30, I was in Calgary for three weeks in 1988, around Christmas/New Years and it got down to -40 degrees a few nights!! Out here in Toronto with our mild winters I wouldn't bother with 0w30 though. My owner's manual for my 95 LT1 Firebird says it's safe to run 10w30 as long as it's above 0F, and it seldom goes below that in Toronto.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You guys out west in Alberta definitely need the 0w30, I was in Calgary for three weeks in 1988, around Christmas/New Years and it got down to -40 degrees a few nights!! Out here in Toronto with our mild winters I wouldn't bother with 0w30 though. My owner's manual for my 95 LT1 Firebird says it's safe to run 10w30 as long as it's above 0F, and it seldom goes below that in Toronto.

Which 0W30 would you recommend? Amsoil series 2000 or Mobil 1 SS? My owner's manual recommends 5W20 but:
1) It's almost as expensive as 0W30/liter
2) For some reason I just despise the idea...(very scientific reason, I know...)
3) About as hard to find as 0W30

I would recommend Amsoil 0w30 over Mobil 1 0w30, simply because I haven't seen any M1 0w30 oil analysis results, but the Amsoil ones I have seen look good. Plus the Amsoil 0w30 is a lot thicker at 100c, then the Mobil 1 is. So even if it does thin out a bit (which it usually doesn't) it won't be too thin, but Mobil 1 0w30 might just thin out a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I would recommend Amsoil 0w30 over Mobil 1 0w30, simply because I haven't seen any M1 0w30 oil analysis results, but the Amsoil ones I have seen look good. Plus the Amsoil 0w30 is a lot thicker at 100c, then the Mobil 1 is. So even if it does thin out a bit (which it usually doesn't) it won't be too thin, but Mobil 1 0w30 might just thin out a bit.

Thank you. I was inclined towards Amsoil already because it's already available and I don't want to wait another month, maybe longer for M1. Also, even though I don't fully understand the oil analysis figures from the comments of those that DO know I didn't find too much wrong with it, not too many negative comments.

On the other hand, do you think M1 would thin out that much comparing to Amsoil? Don't forget, Acura is recommending 5W20 for my vehicle. FWIF, Amsoil claims that their 0W30 meets Japanese Powertrain Requirements, JASO VTW, I haven't seen it advertised by Mobil.

The old Mobil 1 5w30 showed a tendancy to go from 10.0 cst down to about 9.2 or 9.3 cst (20wt) after 3-4k (sometimes less) in a lot of hard driven cars. The new SuperSyn appears to have cured that, however keep in mind that their 0w30 uses even more VI improvers than their 5w30, so it would have the tendancy to thin out even more easily. Amsoil 0w30 starts out at 11.3cst so it's not skirting on the edge of being a 20 weight oil. Analysis results show it stays pretty close to that number too, as it uses a more robust base oil and additive package than M1 0w30 does.

From the Mobil site:
"Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ meets or exceeds the more demanding European ACEA requirements and Japanese valvetrain wear requirements. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is also approved for Mercedes-Benz MB 229.3."

I would say it meets those JASO Specs

The 0/30 Mobil SS you are wanting has a cold crank cP of 3800 @-35C
The 5/30 has a cP of 3600 @-30 C

The VI of the 0/30 is 54.8 @ 40C and 53.7 for the readily available 5/30

In your other topic cold weather was an issue in choosing a oil. I cannot see why one would use thicker VI oil of another brand in this case . If that Mobil 5/30 will not do the job,you need a block heater because I do not personally see any outstanding benefits of using the 0/30 oil over the 5/30.There is only 4 degrees Celsius difference in the pumpability limit of these two Mobil oils- -50C and -46 C

Good luck in your decision

This thread is a continuation of another thread. Ya might take time to know the threads in context before posting,then you would understand why I posted those numbers which was to help his decision on the oil he is looking for.

What you posted is of no signifigance to this thread,like two others in the last week.

You have a PM to read Ted

Dragboat,

Of course I read the thread ...I was just joking around....

I would agree with your recommendation of the M1, 5w-30 over their 0w-30 in this case. Differences in the cold temp flow properties are marginal and the analysis results show the 5w-30/10w-30 hold up very well. The 0w-30 has shown high oil consumption in some cars, specifically the Acuras.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to look for the M1, 0w-40 if you live in a cold climate. The 0w-40 might make more sense if you had a hot weather application where the 5w-30 was too thin. The formulation chemistry is pretty similiar, so that's not an issue.

Feel free to delete my rant, if you'd like. It's been sort of a long week ....

Dragboat,

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but as a mechanical engineer some things just drive me nuts....

Viscosity Index or "VI" is a measure of the viscosity change between 40C and 100C. A higher number means the viscosity changes less as a function of temp. VI is generally a reflection of the quality/purity of the basestock used:

Group II, VI of 80-120
Group III, VI of > 120
Group IV and V, viscosity index of >>120

This is the viscosity index of the basestock alone, before any polymeric thickener is added ....

The "CCS" or cold crank simulator viscosity measured in centipoise or "Cp", is basically a way of simulating how the oil will respond on a cold start. You keep referring to this as "Cp pressure", ie: psi or "bar", but this is not correct. It is certainly true that oil pressure increases as a function of viscosity, but they are not the same thing. You can generate 60 psi of oil pressure with a 0w-30 oil or with a 20w-50 oil, even though the viscosities are radically different ....

So, what was this thread about anyway?

confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back