Update bricks Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Microsoft. My wife attempts to use Word on her laptop and out of the blue no Office programs will start. I deactivate the install and reactivate. Nope. I uninstall and reinstall. Nope. Needed to download a program form MS called "Fix It" which can completely scrub the installation. Reinstalled. So far it's working. Kinda ironic even MS knows the best way to fix their products is to completely remove them. So much for user friendliness of MS. Go to the Office forums and people are freaking out.

30+ years and software management is still not a priority for them. (can't sell it, so why bother) Look at the # of 3rd party utilities than clean up registry, unbork your machine etc.

Sounds about right for ms. Short while ago they released an update for the Xbox one, that among other things, activated the ability to use external storage. So I plug in my 32g flash drive thinking that should be plenty. Nope. Has to be USB3, Minimum 256GB.
thanks Microsoft.

So glad that for the most part I don't use Microsoft products anymore!! I only have one Windows 7 computer with office 2010 on it.. I haven't turned it on in probably about 3 weeks.. no plans to either. I'm going to have to dust it off.

Libre Office is much better than MS office in my opinion.

My last laptop didn't come with MS Office. So, I installed Open Office.

Free, and works every bit as well. I won't pay anything for MS Office ever again.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Just to clarify: What version of MS Office? 2013?

And was it an Office update or a Windows update that caused the mess?

Office 2013, Win 7 Home. No idea what update.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
So glad that for the most part I don't use Microsoft products anymore!! I only have one Windows 7 computer with office 2010 on it.. I haven't turned it on in probably about 3 weeks.. no plans to either. I'm going to have to dust it off.

Libre Office is much better than MS office in my opinion.

I installed LibreOffice for her in case I couldn't get Office running quickly. Thankfully it worked because I didn't want to have to help her screw with a new program all day. While messing around I did notice it didn't run her Powerpoint presentations correctly so it probably wouldn't work for her long term since everyone would be running M$. I'm sure MS makes sure their warez are incompatible enough with other solutions that you're stuck.

At least I'm off of MS myself. Thanks BITOG!!!!

Originally Posted By: Mystic
My Microsoft Office is running just fine. And I get all of the updates.

That's a huge relief to all the folks who's Office isn't running.

I had the same problem with Word a few days ago (running Windows 8.1 and Office 2013) after this update installed:

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2967917)

Word would not start and just kept crashing over and over. I did a system restore to a point prior to the update and all is working well again. I am not sure if this is related since the update was for Windows 8/8.1, but it is the July 2014 "Roll Up" Update so perhaps there is a similar one for Windows 7.

Originally Posted By: hatt

At least I'm off of MS myself. Thanks BITOG!!!!

I'm 2/3 off MS and counting.

KB2967917 is a roll-up update. I've seen more problems from MS with these dreaded many-fixes-in-one-update rollup than any others. Uninstall this update to fix the problem.

MS Office is fine, Libre Office is generally good enough. AbiWord is quite nice and is also free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back