Upcoming long trip ~3500 miles. Change now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going on a family trip in a couple weeks. Looks like total trip miles will be roughly 3500 miles. Our 2008 Honda Odyssey currently is running PU 5W30 with about 3700 miles on the oil. Given all the previous posts about how hard the Odyssey engines are on oil, should I go ahead and change it out now? Current oil life monitor is at 50%.

If I change it out now, I was going to put some Peak conventional 5W20 oil in...go on the trip...then change it out when we get back after running it until 4k miles total on the oil.

What type of driving have you done on the oil now? hwy or short trip( less than 12 miles)? Is your trip hwy? I think draining pennzoil ultra at 3500 miles is a waste of good oil. Unless you have some severe service already on the oil, i'd run it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
What type of driving have you done on the oil now? hwy or short trip( less than 12 miles)? Is your trip hwy? I think draining pennzoil ultra at 3500 miles is a waste of good oil. Unless you have some severe service already on the oil, i'd run it.

+1. Running Peak for 3500 mikes (with I assume 99% highway driving) is also a waste IMO.

*Check the oil before you leave and just drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: spasm3

+1. Running Peak for 3500 mikes (with I assume 99% highway driving) is also a waste IMO.

*Check the oil before you leave and just drive.
+2

Don't change the oil until 9,000 miles or more. Life is to short to waste time obsessing with this oil nonsense. Enjoy your family and the vacation.

Pennzoil Ultra? I vote with the others above, leave it in, run it for the full trip, & don't worry.
thumbsup2.gif

Ok...sounds like the consensus is to leave it in. The vehicle is driven mainly by my wife doing daily city driving (5-20 miles). Maybe once a month or two, the vehicle gets driven on a >20 mile trip....but not too often. Because I've always thought this driving pattern would be hard on oil, I've always changed it after 5k miles.
I guess I can do a UOA after we get back to see how it holds up.

If she is doing greater than 10 miles at least once a week, the oil is fine. I think 7500 is where i would pull a uoa.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Don't change the oil until 9,000 miles or more. Life is to short to waste time obsessing with this oil nonsense. Enjoy your family and the vacation.

"What's the matter dear?"

I can't sleep honey. Now I wishin' I would've changed the oil before we left Albuquerque."

Odyssey engines hard on oil? Never noticed anything unusual with mine and that's with using Mobil 1 synthetic oil its entire life. Consumes about a half quart in 5,000 miles.

I agree with everybody else on leaving the oil alone and change it when you return home.

Last edited:
Leave it. Just keep it topped off on your trip. Don't waste good oil. No big deal if OLM is at zero when you get back. Cars don't wear out from slightly old oil(possibly the opposite), they wear out from no oil.

The issue with the Odyssey being tough on oil is strictly for those Variable Cylinder Management (VCM).

Being an 08,yours shouldn't have that unless it is a top spec model. If you don't have it, you don't need to worry and can leave your average fill in there longer, especially considering the quality of the oil you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back