Upcoming long trip ~3500 miles. Change now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SF0059
The issue with the Odyssey being tough on oil is strictly for those Variable Cylinder Management (VCM).

Being an 08,yours shouldn't have that unless it is a top spec model. If you don't have it, you don't need to worry and can leave your average fill in there longer, especially considering the quality of the oil you are using.

Yeah unfortunately I have the VCM on the vehicle. It's a 2008 Touring model. My only concern is it may not hold up after 7k miles.

PU is supposed to be one of the best so I'd leave it in and go...If I was using a lesser synthetic like ST I'd probably still leave it and go.

3500 highway miles is pretty easy on your oil.

I'd leave it, but if you have restless nights over it then just have it serviced at your destination midway during your trip. Shouldn't be that much trouble.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Don't change the oil until 9,000 miles or more. Life is to short to waste time obsessing with this oil nonsense. Enjoy your family and the vacation.

"What's the matter dear?"

I can't sleep honey. Now I wishin' I would've changed the oil before we left Albuquerque."

"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albukoikie!"

dnewton3 , ran 15k in a villager minivan. He used supertech conventional 5w 30 and pulled a UOA. Other than iron being a bit higher, it was fine. I think this proves you can go longer on the newer class oils, so 7500 on PU should not be a problem.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3164537/ST_5w-30;_15k_miles;_Villager_#Post3164537

Last edited:
Unless you are going to be on the vacation for months, how would you be able to accumulate 3500 miles on the trip without it being all (or mostly) high way miles?

Just check the level before leaving and check it once in a while on the road and you will be fine.

I'm crazy about oil and even I have to vote to leave it in. And if you took it out I certainly don't agree with putting a conventional in. You'd be better off running the top syn you have in there to 0% OLM than running fresh dino, IMO.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW

Yeah unfortunately I have the VCM on the vehicle. It's a 2008 Touring model. My only concern is it may not hold up after 7k miles.

I still wouldn't sweat changing it in this case. The OLM goes off around 6500 miles on average and you won't be going far above that. Just plan on changing it when you get home.

That being said, Honda's VCM engines are some of the few that are harder on the engine when cruising on the highway in eco mode, since an entire bank of cylinders is shut off. Make sure to give it some juice on upgrades to get all the cylinders firing.

With 3700 miles on the current OC and with the next 3500 miles virtually all highway, I wouldn't expect the OLM to be at 0% at the conclusion of the trip.

The oil life monitor decreases at a lesser rate when the vehicle is driven at highway speeds.

If it makes you feel better to enjoy your trip then change it, the cost of 5 quarts PU is less than $30 and if you keep thinking about newer oil in the crankcase while on the trip may make you feel uncomfortable.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
With 3700 miles on the current OC and with the next 3500 miles virtually all highway, I wouldn't expect the OLM to be at 0% at the conclusion of the trip.

The oil life monitor decreases at a lesser rate when the vehicle is driven at highway speeds.

I certainly agree. I didn't literally mean 0%.
grin.gif

The one thing which I will NEVER do is to have the oil changed at the last minute before the long trip. That is absolutely stupid thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back