UOAs and Evaluating Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading this forum for a while now, and like so many others, I am in search of the answer to the illusive "what is the best oil" question. What amazes me is that there is not a single oil that does not have any detractors (except for possibly GC). Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, M1, they all have there fair share of negative posts.

What I have noticed is at least some of the not-so-great UOAs are from cars with higher mileage, and where the owner has chaned oil brands frequently. I have read a number of posts, such as "the oil was probably cleaning up the mess from the previous oil", or "that is due to the xxxx engine problem". Throw in different makes of cars, different driving styles, different climates, and you have a very un-scientific system here.

So here is my question: Is it reasonable to evaluate an oil from UOAs on higher mileage motors and/or without a several consecutive oil changes of the same oil? I am talking about evaluating the oil, such as is RL better than RP, not making use of the UOA for a specific vehicle.

I will be putting S2K 0W30 in my new car soon (mid December), which will give me a chance to perform several UOAs in a row on a new engine. I am thinking that this should remove several of the variables. Car is new, and hopefull in perfenct working order. I will stick with one brand of oil (purchased a case at one time, so that removes another variable), only one driver, so only the weather will change. This should remove many of the variables. Is my thinking correct here? And, yes, one variable is that my engine is still breaking in.

P.S. Is it odd to get excitied about the next oil change? I actually can't wait to change the oil.

[ October 22, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: DockHoliday ]

quote:

P.S. Is it odd to get excitied about the next oil change? I actually can't wait to change the oil.

It's not odd at all, sometimes when it's getting close to the end of my interval I'll do a bit more driving in order to get the oil change done a few days earlier! That means I get my UOA sooner!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:

So here is my question: Is it reasonable to evaluate an oil from UOAs on higher mileage motors and/or without a several consecutive oil changes of the same oil? I am talking about evaluating the oil, such as is RL better than RP, not making use of the UOA for a specific vehicle.

Not quite sure what the question is. I don't change brands or weights and I have analysis on several cars going way back, my oldest is a 92 Camry with 159,000 miles, same oil entire life and I have 18 UOA on this engine. Now, I guess I have results from when it was new to old age. Has it changed, yes, basically better as it ages. Have the UOA proven to be money well spent.

Only if I look at overall knowledge gained. For example, when are the engines basically broken in (in terms of wear metals become normal) what particle counts are really high and at what point. But, overall UOA is not worth the money IMO. These high lead counts (over 10 ppm), high silicon (over 10)are meaningless. All that matters is what is the trend for your engine and look for spikes. Why, there is nothing you can do about an engine that consistently gets 25 ppm of lead. Guess what, it will still last 200,000 miles anyway.

So, what exactly was your question regarding too many UOA on older cars and how to relate to that?

Spector - I really did not word my post very well, I guess I was thinking outloud.

My issue is that I have been reading the posts of others to determine what oil I should use. That is hard because I will see reports on a Honda Civic using RP, then a Ford F150 with RedLine, then a Camaro with Amsoil, etc.. This makes it hard to compare the different oil brands since there are so many variables. I guess I was just asking if I am correct in my conclusion that I need to choose an oil and use it for several consecutive changes (with UOAs) to properly evaluate an oil.

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
I guess I was just asking if I am correct in my conclusion that I need to choose an oil and use it for several consecutive changes (with UOAs) to properly evaluate an oil. [/QB]

I would agree with that 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back