UOA with biodiesel runned engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a UOA out of my 1999 F-350 7.3 that I run on a WVO blend, not BD. Everything looked great after 5K. I'm looking to extend the OCI this time.

My results are posted at info-pop on the Solvent Blending sub-forum and on The Diesel Site in the Alt. Fuels section. You can search my screen name at either of those sites or I can work on posting the results here if you don't find the report at the other places.

I have had no issues on my UOA with running biodiesel. I did have some high potassium when I first started using UOA, but that may have been due to the potassium hydroxide used for making the biodiesel.

After about 2 oil changes the potassium levels dropped.

My Powerstroke loves running biodiesel, it smooths right out and EGTs drop about 100F when under load.

You probably dont want to know(by my experience)if i had to venture a guess ? Group 5 oil and biodiesel (20%) are probably twins.ya very harsh .same problem with ethanol gas.and you know the joke about this?you cant run without biodiesel either!why?because of the ultra low sulfer part!best bet ?1% is the sweat spot.so the voa etc might not be exact since biodiesel (or its ethanol gas variant have a huge say .check what ethanol is compatible with do the same for bio .that list is insanelly short.in my car manual it say gas 91 .NO OXYGENATED GAS (nigrogen v power is probably oxygenated lol)so in the end this means my car isnt warrantied since i cant find ethanol or oxygen free gas (normal old school unleaded gas)

i regularly run bio blends between 5% and 15% in my Detroit Series 60 12.7L engine. I run the oil changes to 50% over the OEM recommended drain and things look fine Currently on 22,500 mile OCI's. Oil still good, but I am not looking to set some sort of extended drain record, so running 50% more than the OEM recommended level fits well in my comfort zone.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
i regularly run bio blends between 5% and 15% in my Detroit Series 60 12.7L engine. I run the oil changes to 50% over the OEM recommended drain and things look fine Currently on 22,500 mile OCI's. Oil still good, but I am not looking to set some sort of extended drain record, so running 50% more than the OEM recommended level fits well in my comfort zone.

Strange, my 2014 Ram 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins engines says that if biodiesel higher then 5% is used, the oil changes must be shortened from 15k miles to 12.5k. Why would they recommend that if diodiesel is not harmful? Can anyone explain this to me?

In all fairness, bio can cause issues in the right situation. It has a higher flash and vaporization point than regular diesel. We all know that there is always a little fuel that gets by the rings and into the crankcase. Most of it vaporizes in the heat and exits via the crankcase ventilation. Now, if an engine is not run regularly at full operating temps, like a lot of short tripping, bio with it's higher vaporization point can accumulate in the oil and lead to some fuel dilution. That is the primary reason some OEM's will spec a shorter OCI. Cummins doesn't state this on their heavier truck diesels, primarily because they know that they are normally not short trip operations. Those engines run for hours on end at normal operating temps. So there is no real reason for major concerns. The pickup diesels... different can of worms. If it is only being run highway miles and getting a lot of time at full operating temps, I wouldn't worry a bit. But if it is getting a fair amount of short trip stuff going on, then follow the OEM lead to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back