UOA Sample Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a UOA 3 months ago with a Blackstone kit. Is there any problem sending it in after that amount of time?

never let a sample sit that long off hand all I can think is TBN may drop as weak acids work on it. Also some "gunk" may settle but I would think that this lab would thoughly mix the sample. Any others I missed?

When we do water based machine coolant samples they must be tested within a few days or the bacteria present will grow FAST and mess up the test results. Not a problem is a PCMO sample.

bruce

Condensation became an issue with a sample I submitted less than two weeks after a previous sample from the same batch. Most of my results were similar, but there did appear to be reactivity within the sample, as Fe, Cu, and Ca values were significantly different. Some of the difference might be attributable to using different labs, but it doesn't change the fact that there was no water present in the first sample while water was detected in the second.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002868

It is in a triple sealed container (small bottle in bag inside of big bottle), so I don't see how condensation will be a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
It is in a triple sealed container (small bottle in bag inside of big bottle), so I don't see how condensation will be a problem.

Both of my samples were identically sealed in a Blackstone kit - bottle, bag, bottle. The only difference was the 2 week time period.

I can't explain the presence of condensation either, but I suspect that my arrangement wasn't air-tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back