UOA Rotella T6 5W-40 6.0 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, was a member before, let account slide, changed email accounts, blah blah. So, created this new account back in 2013, but have been rather absent, as evidenced by this being the first post. lol

Second, ignore the 10W on the report. I don't know why it says that. I probably put it the paper not realizing what I had done. I'm actually running 5W-40.

Anyway, while these are old tests, I haven't been able to get any new ones done. I do have one sample which needs to be sent out. I had some engine issues which essentially made me go through five gallons of oil in short order along with a plethora of other issues. It's all fixed now, so I'll start doing OA again to keep an eye on things. I'm running an Amsoil EaBP110 bypass filter along with Racor main filter.

The silicon levels are high, yes. Discovered a bad seal on the air filter, so I'm hoping that will be resolved in the next OA. Iron seems high even with ~8,000 miles. I've seen plenty of UOA on the same engine with similar miles and their iron wasn't that high. So that is a bit of a concern.

What's really my concern is the fuel dilution. I know I've got good injectors, and it burns cleanly with zero smoke out the exhaust. I'm guess the majority of the fuel comes from blow-by which isn't evacuated effectively from the crankcase. Would that be a decent assumption? I did have a remote CCV catch can setup because I was tired of oil getting sucked into the turbo from the CCV....and it eventually went south on me, so that MAY have been a contributing factor.

The main question is how can I improve my numbers? The oil itself is doing great, just those three main issues. Ideas?

And of course I can't do pics yet, so here's the link to my UOA.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/Weatherlite1970/media/UOA.jpg.html?filters[user]=124945973&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Forgot to mention, I run Archoil 9100, which accounts for the Potassium and Boron.

UOA.jpg.html

The fuel dilution is probably the greatest concern. It's weird that the viscosity of both samples was 11.68 (It's turned into a 30-weight), yet the second UOA had 6 times more fuel dilution. Maybe the 6.0 is shearing the 5w40. They have that reputation. 10w30 or 15w40 hold their viscosity better in the engines with the HEUI fuel system.

You've already taken steps to deal with the silicon reading. What engine issues have you been having? Have any of the valve covers, front cover, or oil pan been off? Maybe the silicon reading is due to new RTV applied when it was reassembled.

Do another UOA in 3k miles to see how things are going.

What are you using the Archoil for?

Last edited:
The 6.0 will shear a 5w40 to a 30 pretty easily. They run just fine on 30 weights, and viscosity stays constant over the whole OCI. The fuel content reduced your viscosity though, and that much fuel is crazy in a typical 6.0 UOA. They are almost always below 2% after 5000 miles.
Are you tuned? If not, I think I'd see if I had a leaky injector. You've only got 200k on it. Unless it's been really abused, or not maintained, it shouldn't have that much fuel squeeze past the rings, and I think you would have other symptoms if that's the case.
There was a TSB back in 2004. You may want to check and see if you have an injector seal (o-ring)/cup problem.
http://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagnose/fo...or-diagnostics/

Ditch the additives. The 6.0 PSD has a reputation for oil cooler issues, head gaskets, etc. If you get a problem here with leaking coolant internally you're going to want to be able to track the sodium and potassium; the additive is going to mess with those and mask potential tell-tale signs of the onset of problems.

The Fe wear is likely due to an injector/cup issue; I would agree to look for this. It's not all 8 of them leaking; it's probably only one, maybe two? The Fe is rings/cylinder wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back