UOA results vs time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder seeing so many minimum oci's taken and uoa's done with so few miles, is the data collected suitable for discussion on wich brand of oil is better than another?
with so many varibles in question I would like to think your results are best if you stick with a brand for a certain amount of time.
I find near impossible to spend $20 on a sample with less than 10,000 miles on the oil.
My first oil sample I ever paid for had 40,000 on the oil.
Question is how much time or milage should be used before comparing results?
I see many users having multiple brands trending over a normal intervals, I cant see this benificial to anyone except the lab processing the results.
UOA inception was for people who wanted to use an extended drain interval program and have a way to monitor the progress.
Im sorry a 3000 mile UOA is not very helpful, at all to me.

Originally Posted By: lazaro

UOA inception was for people who wanted to use an extended drain interval program

That is not the only purpose of doing a UOA. UOA also helps you catch problems early (such as internal coolant leaks, fuel contamination problems, dirt ingestion problems, etc.) regardless of OCI.

It's my view UOAs are not much value to the average person, except if you using coolant or high fuel content. For the cost of a UOA you can change oil. Also oil is cheap, why go 40,000 OCI. Use a good synt. and change it every 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It's my view UOAs are not much value to the average person, except if you using coolant or high fuel content. For the cost of a UOA you can change oil. Also oil is cheap, why go 40,000 OCI. Use a good synt. and change it every 10,000 miles.

most average people wont need it, yes I agree, if I had coolant in my engine oil and I did not know it or excessive fuel and I just went along changing oil with no UOA would my engine ever have any problems?

I agree, UOA on 1,3,5K runs is pretty much pointless except for cases of mechanical issues. I'd like to see UOA on off the shelf synthetics at 10 or 15K.

I think Lazzaro is one of the very few who post UOA of high mileage synthetic runs.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I agree, UOA on 1,3,5K runs is pretty much pointless except for cases of mechanical issues. I'd like to see UOA on off the shelf synthetics at 10 or 15K.

I think Lazzaro is one of the very few who post UOA of high mileage synthetic runs.

thanks for the reply!
34.gif

Quote:
I wonder seeing so many minimum oci's taken and uoa's done with so few miles,

Many who do UOA just don't do the mileage that they used to. I always ask for the time span over which the oil has been in use. It tends to fall into so many months.

That is, an extended drain to someone can be 3-5k miles if they were originally doing 3m/3k.

I wonder seeing so many minimum oci's taken and uoa's done with so few miles, is the data collected suitable for discussion on wich brand of oil is better than another?

Right now I'm looking at them (and planning on doing a couple of low-mile UOAs myself) strictly with an eye to how SM oils are handling flat lifter engines. I don't EXPECT problems, but then that's the whole point. Finding the unexpected before it finds me. :)

Besdes, cars are a hobby to me and UOAs are fun.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Right now I'm looking at them (and planning on doing a couple of low-mile UOAs myself) strictly with an eye to how SM oils are handling flat lifter engines. I don't EXPECT problems, but then that's the whole point. Finding the unexpected before it finds me. :)

Besdes, cars are a hobby to me and UOAs are fun.
grin2.gif

I have not seen lately SM oils doing any favors to the local Muscle car collector we know, 5 engines all with wiped out cam lobes.
Im a Ford guy and by myself with no one watching I can curse out a FE engine from a Mustang engine bay.
Now imagine me a Ford guy working a a shop that leans Chevy, 3 Chevies came in all Camaros, 1st gen, shop owner, well respected in the community, tells me Chevy will be the easiest engine R&R I will ever do, All 3 we did took 3 guys struggling and laughing about how hard it was to set the engine in a Camaro.
I did the Fords all alone with out issue, something the Chevy shop owner hired me to do cause he found it too hard
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back