uoa QSUD 5w20 6,697 miles in 2011 taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is QSUD 5w20 that went in last december. The car is not a daily driver but rather a weekly driven car. It goes out two or three times per week, sometimes getting fully warmed up with twenty to forty miles total. However, it also makes some quick runs of two or three miles in which it doesn't warm up.

If I can figure it out, I'll put up two uoa's of the same batch of oil in code block
frown.gif

Using my fat fingers on my phone takes some effort and care

2011 taurus sel with 3.5 v6
32,049 miles on car
First column is 6,697 miles, second is same batch at 3,000
Code:

Blackstone results

6.7k 3k univ avgs

Aluminum 6 4 4

Chromium 0 0 0

Iron 14 10 12

Copper 29 18 31

Lead 0 0 2

Tin 1 1 1

Moly 48 48 69

Nickel 0 0 0

Manganese 5 2 6

Silver 0 0 0

Titanium 0 0 6

Potassium 0 4 2

Boron 8 7 73

Silicon 14 10 15

Sodium 62 54 46

Calcium 2306 2157 2255

Mag 14 13 88

Phos 712 724 687

Zinc 819 838 785

Barium 1 0 1

Sus visc

@210f 55.3 53.0

Cst visc

@100c 8.85 8.18

Flash pt 410 415

Fuel

Water/antifreeze both 0%

Insols 0.3% 0.1%

TBN 3.0 3.8

TAN 3.8 2.5

Folks...that was not easy for me to type all that and get everything somewhat lined up! On a little phone...whew!!!

Any thoughts? I am suprised how much viscosity increased from 3,000 to 6,700 but otherwise not too bad, I guess.

I forgot to mention oil is still in the sump...blackstone says I could go another 1, 000 miles if I want. Thanks for any thoughts!

Oh yeah...the universal averages are based on 5,800 miles.

Using fram ultra filter.

Air filter went in just a few hundred before the oil last year.

Resource conserving oil thins in the first few thousand miles of a new oil change. Now it's probably close to it's virgin viscosity. There is not a fuel dilution issue. I would follow severe service oc interval even with synthetic oil due to extreme cold climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jorton
Resource conserving oil thins in the first few thousand miles of a new oil change. Now it's probably close to it's virgin viscosity. There is not a fuel dilution issue. I would follow severe service oc interval even with synthetic oil due to extreme cold climate.
ok good to know. I figured there would be some oxidation, just didn't expect it to thicken so much. At what point do I worry about increased viscosity?

I hoped to finish out a full year with this oci. Cold weather will be here soon, though.

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
thanks for this..I was worried about the sodium in my qsud uoa..
just so you know my car had napa oil in it when I bought it. That oil has sodium as an additive and I believe it's showing in my qsud as just a residual.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Would be interested to see if a Purolator Pureone would return at least as good insolubles while being cheaper?
all I know is the car had a carquest filter when I got it. The cold start noise was awful to my ears and at time I thought it was probably the oil, but reading this site makes me think it was the filter. The qsud/fram ultra was super quiet even at -13 f last winter, so I may stick with the ultra.

Two more pieces of info for what they're worth...

Zero makeup oil...it is still full (minus oil drawn out for sample)

The oci includes about 1,000 miles of highway driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back