UOA on 2011 F-150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a Blackstone analysis done on my Ecoboost F-150. Background: The truck has about 11.5k miles on it. First change was done with Motorcraft semi-synthetic at 1k, second was the Mobil 1 you see in this report at 5k. My plan was to stick with 5k OCIs, but we ended up having to take an unexpected road trip in the truck, so this one got pushed to 6500. I wanted to see how it did with the longer interval, and it seems to be fine. I also don't seem to have as much fuel contamination as I've seen on other Ecoboost engines. Perhaps this is because the sample was taken right after the road trip?
oil_analysis.jpg

I'll be sticking with 5k OCIs in any case, but I thought I'd share and get any comments you might have.

Would have been nice to see the TBN.

I think there might still be some leftover break-in metals that will wash out with the next few oil changes. The engine could still be breaking in.

What's the factory recommended OCI?

BTW, this is in the wrong section...

Maybe I'm just demonstrating my ignorance here, but why is the flashpoint low with only a trace of fuel? Or is this a value Blackstone has trouble getting consistently right given the technology possible with a $ 25 test?

Given the slight shearing and flashpoint, I'd stick with your 5,000 mile planned OCI rather than Blackstone's 8,000 mile suggestion.

Welocme to BITOG! And thanks for posting this report. Blackstone is pretty good at some things, but fuel dilution isn't one of them. I hope you like your new truck.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Maybe I'm just demonstrating my ignorance here, but why is the flashpoint low with only a trace of fuel? Or is this a value Blackstone has trouble getting consistently right given the technology possible with a $ 25 test?

Given the slight shearing and flashpoint, I'd stick with your 5,000 mile planned OCI rather than Blackstone's 8,000 mile suggestion.

Your right. There is a lot more fuel 2-3% my guess.

The manganese helps give that away as it comes from fuel usually. The boron is almost depleted. Without tbn, I wouldn't go past this. I've found my ideal oci is 5-6k according to my uoas.

Last edited:
You need to try polaris labs they use gas chromotology to detect fuel much more accurate. I was having rising oil level problems with my truck for a while and blackstone said the fuel percentage was always between .5 and 2.5% or so with the three reports I did with them. Then I switched to polaris and they were reporting over 10% fuel in the oil. Well gee that explains where the extra quart of oil has been coming from all this time.

I am not worried at all about a 365 flashpoint on motorcraft 5W30 just about every UOA I have seen on this oil the flashpoint has been 365-395F. The fact this is still almost a 30 weight I believe fuel dilution is minimal. I would re-sample at your next OCI to help establish trends for your engine or just keep at your current OCI rate.

Yes, it's Mobil 1. Thanks for the input, guys, and sorry about posting in the wrong forum, rookie mistake. Thanks to whoever moved it here.

I'm not sure about the fuel number, either, though it does seem to be lower than other Ecoboost Blackstone reports I've seen on here. As I said, the truck had just finished a long multi-day freeway trip, could that have burned off the excess fuel in the oil?

The factory does not specify an OCI, it says to go by the oil change indicator in the OBC. I forgot to check what it said before I reset it, but it wasn't at zero, I want to say 30% or so. I will be sticking with a 5000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I am not worried at all about a 365 flashpoint on motorcraft 5W30 just about every UOA I have seen on this oil the flashpoint has been 365-395F. The fact this is still almost a 30 weight I believe fuel dilution is minimal. I would re-sample at your next OCI to help establish trends for your engine or just keep at your current OCI rate.

M1 has a virgin FP of 446, MC FP of 402. I'd say there's some dilution.

Last edited:
Yet with UOA's that had about 3.5 fuel dilution the flashpoint of 5W30 M-1 dropped below 300F. So with a flashpoint of 365 fuel dilution can not be that high. There are UOA's of M-1 5W30 with only trace amounts of fuel and the flash point was 380-385F. On this sample Fuel dilution does not seem to be a problem and that is not normal for a 3.5ECO but it is the second one for this engine in the last couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Yet with UOA's that had about 3.5 fuel dilution the flashpoint of 5W30 M-1 dropped below 300F. So with a flashpoint of 365 fuel dilution can not be that high. There are UOA's of M-1 5W30 with only trace amounts of fuel and the flash point was 380-385F. On this sample Fuel dilution does not seem to be a problem and that is not normal for a 3.5ECO but it is the second one for this engine in the last couple of weeks.

This is true. The big question is can one put much faith into BlackStone fuel testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: volk06

This is true. The big question is can one put much faith into BlackStone fuel testing.

I don't. When I had my first uoa done on my EB I sent a sample to Blackstone and a sample to Polaris. Polaris said there was more than 5% dilution and Blackstone said there was less than 1/2%. I think the answer is in the middle based on other indicators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back