UOA: Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 F150, factory fill with 56,101 miles. Since 38k has been a DD with mixed city/highway and barely any towing. Blackstone says don't touch a thing for at least another 20k
wink.gif

What do you guys think about the iron? Also, are any of those numbers indicative of the friction modifiers?

4hzk7q.jpg

2sb4pqc.jpg

I'm by no means an expert but wouldn't factory fill have more break in wear than that?

I wonder if they've improved the filter or do you have a magnefine?

I had similar numbers on Mercon V after 16k miles on my third fill on an 82k mile vehicle and am planning on adding a magnefine.

The Mercon LV fluid is very stout considering how thin it is. And the flashpoint is fantastic for an automatic trans fluid. The filter in the f150 trucks is huge as well and this helps keeps the contamination contained. Good job Ford!

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I'm by no means an expert but wouldn't factory fill have more break in wear than that?

It is not bad for 56K, my FX4 had about the same at 13K, and only slightly more at 71K (58K on the next run of fluid). Based upon my UOAs I saw no reason to switch from Motorcraft fluid.

2010 FX4

I believe Ford considers this a 150K mile fluid. It does on my Expedition, at least.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I believe Ford considers this a 150K mile fluid. It does on my Expedition, at least.

robert

150k for "Normal" and 60k for "severe service." What I found out when I tried to have the dealer warranty a misfire, though is that certain regions automatically qualify as severe service schedule (for example, Michigan). Never mind that my commute yields a fully warmed up powertrain regardless of how cold it gets.

I'd change it out. I've seen too many worn out seals and valvebodies. Particles counts would be more convincing than ppm wear in a UOA, which looks excellent here and says much about Ford's new transmissions. Is this a ZF 6R80?

Add an inline filter if you want to use ATF indefinitely.

Afton working hard with both LV and 6, with exclusive automaker contracts.

I've been feeling bad that my taurus tranny still has the FF of Mercon LV in it with 37,xxx miles on it. While my 6F50 may not fare as well as your pickup's tranny, I don't feel quite so horrible after seeing this.

Will sample mine next month and see how it looks. Thanks for testing and posting!

I am generally a fan of fluid flushed after break-in has subsided. While not a necessity, it does have some pragmatic logic.

Once the flush is done, it looks as though LV is a fine fluid and can go a LONG time without change in this application.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I'd change it out. I've seen too many worn out seals and valvebodies. Particles counts would be more convincing than ppm wear in a UOA, which looks excellent here and says much about Ford's new transmissions. Is this a ZF 6R80?

Add an inline filter if you want to use ATF indefinitely...

thumbsup2.gif

I would only add that an inline will only keep particulates of a certain range of sizes out of the circulating fluid.

Consider that an INline filter does nothing to replenish the additive package.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Add an inline filter if you want to use ATF indefinitely.

Afton working hard with both LV and 6, with exclusive automaker contracts.

Actually, its the 6R80 transmission. Planning on doing the scheduled service about 50,000 miles early at 100,000. Dropped some LG Red in this past summer to help with the well known sticky solenoids now that its out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back