UOA: M1 5w30 /2006 Legacy GT / 5875mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third sample from my LGT... previous sample posts are here:
#2: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1347432
#1: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1279088&fpart=1

I ran 5w30 this one last time, as I had it available before the results came in. The air filter was suspected on the first one, so it was replaced back then with an OEM unit. The oil filter for #2 and #3 (this report) was a black OEM Subaru filter.

Note that this sample was taken cold (after an overnight sit).

Blackstone3.gif

The data in text-form, for when the image is gone:
MI/HR on Oil 5,875
MI/HR on Unit 50,331
Sample Date 5/29/2009
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts
ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 17
COPPER 19
LEAD 11
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 86
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 42
SILICON 19
SODIUM 11
CALCIUM 2347
MAGNESIUM 15
PHOSPHORUS 656
ZINC 797
BARIUM 0
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 55.8
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.00
Flashpoint in °F 370
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 3.4

My current run is Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, which is what I really want to see results on, but that won't happen for a few months now, of course. I also changed to a Bosch 3323 (taller than stock) filter for the current run.

At some point I'll get to checking for leaks on the intake track, as has been suggested... just haven't gotten around to it yet, and since the numbers are still pretty low, it hasn't been an emergency.

I've read that there have been some problems with M1 5W-30 causing (or not preventing) spun bearings in turbo Subaru's. While this report isn't disasterous, it isn't good for a Subie. From what I've seen here, if I owned a Turbo Subaru, I wouldn't run ANYTHING but a 40-weight in it.

Good choice on your current oil; it seems to do well in these engines.

Drop the oci back to 4k,install an M1 oil filter on your next change,check/replace AF with only an oem unit.

@steve20: My previous experiences with M1 have been very positive. As I stated in the posting, I have switched to Rotella now on this car, but these samples were taken before I had the evidence to show M1 was a problem. So, chill out.

@FZ1: I had an M1 oil filter on the first oil sample above, I believe... and it wasn't very good either.

@addyguy: I, too, have heard of not-so-good performance of M1 on the Subarus, and good luck with the Rotella or even PP 5w30... I chose Rotella since it was cheaper (on sale $16.99) at the time... I won't know how much better until the next sample!

Subaru engines seem to be rough on oils. I don't know if it is engine design, fuel dilution issues or the turbos.

Maybe you could try a Redline or Amsoil in it to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Schwinn - Next time, do a proper sampling technique. A 20 minute drive right beforehand and a warm/hot sample.

Here's my thoughts: Your silicon still seems a bit high, but not overly so like the first sample. It's trended downwards too.

Your Iron, Copper, and Lead are all incredibly consistent across all three samples when matched for mileage. Which says, to me, that your engine is producing the exact same level of wear with this oil regardless of how long the oil is run.

Rotella should show a nice improvement. But at the same time, maybe it'll be because next time you'll sample properly. If maybe you shouldn't sample properly, to be consistent :)

Btw, I got better results with PP 5w30 in my 08 LGT (with a higher spike in copper but lower lead & iron). I'm on Rotella now. Going to try something really daring next time and then sample :)

Joe

I firmly believe that the regular flavors of Mobil 1 (5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30) aren't very good. The High Mileage, Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance versions seem to be significantly better.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Do you drive like my wife?

How does she drive?

Like a bat out of [censored]. Flooring from the start, 5 minute trip, flooring it....

@JoefromPA: I would have taken a warm sample, but I was told to just take a cold one (rather than an after-idle one)... and I didn't feel like getting burned during the change, so I got lazy.

Are you suggesting that I should get a cold sample on the next OCI, to keep consistent? I'd prefer to do that anyway, haha!

@Pablo: I don't drive that hard... I do let the car warm up before really getting into it, usually. But, I do drive rather hard overall.

Even a hot sample of M1 5W30 wouldn't look good in a Subaru turbo.
grin2.gif
28.gif

I guess I should also switch to a HDEO 5W-40. I'm beginning to feel out of place.
happy2.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Don't these Sube's like 5w40's? How does ASL 5w30 hold up in these engines?

Buster - There's a LGT wagon owner running SSO for 12.5k-15k intervals backed by analysis with great results. SSO is one impressive oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I've read that there have been some problems with M1 5W-30 causing (or not preventing) spun bearings in turbo Subaru's. While this report isn't disasterous, it isn't good for a Subie. From what I've seen here, if I owned a Turbo Subaru, I wouldn't run ANYTHING but a 40-weight in it.

Hi...I have two ej20's with spun bearings & used M1 in both :-(. I clearly DID NOT learn my lesson the first (2) time(s).

I actually thought the issue had more to do with oil loss and starvation but clearly the issue is deeper than that since on this last engine I was neurotic about checking my levels and had exactly 4.7 qts at the time it failed (calls for 4.8 so starvation, in the literal sense, was clearly not the issue).

Anyway, I have a new hybrid, STI block w/ wrx heads, so I'm going to Walmart on my lunch break and getting some Rotella to get this M1 out of my car.

So glad I found this forum!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SoobyDoo
..........I actually thought the issue had more to do with oil loss and starvation but clearly the issue is deeper than that since on this last engine I was neurotic about checking my levels and had exactly 4.7 qts at the time it failed (calls for 4.8 so starvation, in the literal sense, was clearly not the issue).......

Were you running higher than stock redline on these engines?

Originally Posted By: SoobyDoo
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Hi...I have two ej20's with spun bearings & used M1 in both :-(. I clearly DID NOT learn my lesson the first (2) time(s).

I actually thought the issue had more to do with oil loss and starvation but clearly the issue is deeper than that since on this last engine I was neurotic about checking my levels and had exactly 4.7 qts at the time it failed (calls for 4.8 so starvation, in the literal sense, was clearly not the issue).

Anyway, I have a new hybrid, STI block w/ wrx heads, so I'm going to Walmart on my lunch break and getting some Rotella to get this M1 out of my car.

So glad I found this forum!!

I am curious, two questions:
1) Which Mobil 1 were your running on both occassions? (10W30?, 5W30, API SM?, SL?)

2) Was hard corning involved prior to the alleged oil stavation on both occasions?

3) How much does a spun bearing repair cost? (That's 3 questions - I had to ask?)

I have read of some other WRX owners on another Subaru forum with the same result using the same oil. I don't own one, I will just stick to the Fords, just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back