UOA/GC/Mobil 5w/40....?? decision time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello...

I'm reaching decision time on what my next oil should be..(for 4.6L sohc T-bird, 96k miles)

I now have 3,600 miles on the GC, and I'm going to do an UOA with Terry Dyson package next week. So far, 0.75 qt of GC has been added.
I'm still undecided about using GC further, or changing it to M-1 5w/40...been eyeing this ever since it showed up at WalMart...the GC has been good so far..in warm weather. It's also the 1st oil after the Arx rinse with Chevr.supreme.

I've won a Free oil change at my trustworthy Ford dealer, so I think I'll use it, and ask him to get a sample..but what should go in as the next oil??

What do you guys think? How would the Mobil-1 Truck/suv perform in this engine? especially concerning summer and consumption.?if the GC uoa results are good, I can always go back to it after the M-1...
Also, I'll be moving to N.Carolina in 2 months, and i don't know if I can find any GC there...M-1 seems to be available in WMart almost anywhere.

any advice/ideas? Thanks.

Do you "time weight" your OCI? I just don't get the propensity for using synth and changing oil so often. I'm trying to figure out if people don't put enough mileage on to make the xxxx#, so they fall into a quarterly, bi-annual, or some other "rhythum".

I think M1SUV (aka Delvac 1) is good for double what you put the GC through in just about any engine.

N. Carolina? Are you being punished??
wink.gif

I agree with jsharp, give it another try before you switch.

I think you are right on track thinking about resupply logistics. It makes sense to go with an oil that is available localy! It also makes since to try a slightly thicker oil seeinghow you are still experinceing consuption issues. Even if the wear metals are good with GC if it is not available localy and consuption is an issue then try something else. If on the other hande you can get GC in NC and the consuption is not a issue and your UOA is looking good you can always go back to it. Short term either oil will do a great job more then likely. Long term Delvac-1 is a proven performer!

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Do you "time weight" your OCI? I just don't get the propensity for using synth and changing oil so often. I'm trying to figure out if people don't put enough mileage on to make the xxxx#, so they fall into a quarterly, bi-annual, or some other "rhythum".

I think M1SUV (aka Delvac 1) is good for double what you put the GC through in just about any engine.

-------------------------------

The reason for the short OCI this time is that this is the 1st time I've run a "real" syn.oil in my car, and which means I've switched from dino with Arx rinse. Also this will be my first ever UOA. So before going further, I thought I'd get an idea of how well this oil is doing on this car so far.

If I was using syn.oil regularly, my OCI would've been a lot longer...and will be so, when/if I decide to continue with syn.oil.
------------------
BTW, I normally don't have any real consumption issues with regular and HM oils. My last "normal" oil interval(excluding the Arx treatment with Chevron) was with Pennzoil HM 10/30. Consumption was less than 0.25 qts in 3500 mies.

So, is the consumption I have with GC so far considered bad or OK, considering the switch from dino etc?
Has anybody used M-1 5w/40 in a 4.6 sohc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back