UOA for a Camaro SS with track time.

How fast did you go or highest RPM during the 4 hrs?
133 MPH each lap. About 33 laps every 1 hour session. So about 120 laps total, each lap a max of 130 to 133 mph at the end of the straight. Car saw 5,000 to 6,500 rpm regularly on the track.

Does Camaro have oil temp gauge?
Curious what the max was.
The SS cars are made for tracking, and come with a supplemental track maintenance guide. So, it has an oil temp gauge, transmission temp gauge, and a coolant temp gauge. It also has an oil cooler, a transmission cooler, a rear diff cooler, and a secondary coolant cooler. Oil temps get up to about 270F on occasion, but generally around 240-245.

I saw both M1 0W40 and Edge 0W40 at store yesterday and iirc both had exact same cert and specs and price. M1 was $24.xx and 50 cents more than Edge.
Seems like cousins ... Wonder what are the significant differences e.g. base oil, etc.

op,
Have you tried M1 in yours? I know one oil sample would not be enough but curious how they compare.
I'm guessing it may come down to whichever jug you think is prettier :love:

I saw both M1 0W40 and Edge 0W40 at store yesterday and iirc both had exact same cert and specs and price. M1 was $24.xx and 50 cents more than Edge.
Seems like cousins ... Wonder what are the significant differences e.g. base oil, etc.

op,
Have you tried M1 in yours? I know one oil sample would not be enough but curious how they compare.
Have only used Castrol Edge. Manual calls for Dexos2 certification, so that would be Mobil1 ESP. Screw that over priced stuff. Edge used to be Dexos2 certified, but not sure if it still because it's not on the bottle, but it is on the GM Dexos website.

Have only used Castrol Edge. Manual calls for Dexos2 certification, so that would be Mobil1 ESP. Screw that over priced stuff. Edge used to be Dexos2 certified, but not sure if it still because it's not on the bottle, but it is on the GM Dexos website.
Edge 0W40 was never Dexos2. Dexos2 oils are ACEA C3 oils. Ones that look really stout is Motul X-Clean Gen2.
I am really not sure why GM recommends Dexos2. Anyway, for a track Full-SAPS oil would be better.

op,
Castrol 0W40 is mostly PAO based and rest HC. Has a bit of Titanium that serves as anti-wear and antioxidant additive.
M1 has everything in it, GTL and PAO and bit of Ester. It is very high in ash levels, and I personally would not use it in DI engines. It has a lot of ZDDP too so it makes it suitable for track, but again ash level is really high for DI engines.

Edge 0W40 was never Dexos2. Dexos2 oils are ACEA C3 oils. Ones that look really stout is Motul X-Clean Gen2.
I am really not sure why GM recommends Dexos2. Anyway, for a track Full-SAPS oil would be better.
Oh, ok. Thought it once had the Dexos2 label. Either way a great report on a UOA on a motor that was beat to hell.

Oh, ok. Thought it once had the Dexos2 label. Either way a great report on a UOA on a motor that was beat to hell.
Most definitely. Both Castrol 0W40 and M1 0W40FS are top of the line products. But since your engine calls for Dexsos2 oil, I would go Castrol as it has less sulfated ash than M1 0W40 FS. That FS I have in my BMW has some serious overachieving additive package, but my engine is not direct injection so it is OK.

Back