UOA Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be a common theme in posts that certain engines, do well with certain oils. I don't know if that's true or not.

I was just curious if someone had ever compiled a database of UOA's and looked for patterns- the idea being that if you asked "what is the best oil for my engine?" they could provide an answer based on UOA results for a specific engine type.

I realize there are lots of uncontrolled variables (climate, driving style, etc) but IF certain engines do best with certain oils, it seems likely that would be clear with a large enough sample size.

jcork, Bob was actually working on a database of UOAs before he got sick. Hopefully when he recovers, he will finish it. -Joe

quote:

Originally posted by jcork:

I realize there are lots of uncontrolled variables (climate, driving style, etc) but IF certain engines do best with certain oils, it seems likely that would be clear with a large enough sample size.

Yeah it is still a great idea though because take for example the Ford 4.6 motor with it's hydraulicaly tensioned timing chain that makes noise " some of them " on motor fire when cold will show as valve train wear and could be construed as too thin an oil or not good flowing oil when in reality it's the chain and the inherent design problem and syphoning the galley to the oil filter . With info like this we'll be able to better understand what's going on in various engines .

The more info given in the UOA post the better such as garage kept ect but there are just so many variables to include a owner pushing the gas to the floor resulting in a motor that does not light as quickly in an otherwise quick fire FI motor. The list of small differences can be long .

[ December 13, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
We already have a UOA database; the db is where the uoa info is currently stored. I think what you;re looking for is a spreadsheet to display the data, and compilations on the data, right?

I suppose that UBB is a database application, and does have search capability. I wasn't so much interested in display capability, as in sample size and statistical validity.

I was thinking that one of the labs (that generates all the data) might be in a position to have a large enough sample size to make it really useful. I think the UOA reports posted here would not reflect a very random sample, and would not be large enough to really make a definitive statement about a variety of oils for a variety of engines.

Perhaps that sort of data mining is already being done at some level and I just am not aware of that.

Well, the labs give universal averages with their results.

I think what you are looking for would have too many variables anyway (type of driving, ambient temperatures, average distance)

Do you see where I'm going or have I missed the point entirely?

UOA database says GC is the current wonder oil of the year!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Well, the labs give universal averages with their results.

I think what you are looking for would have too many variables anyway (type of driving, ambient temperatures, average distance)

Do you see where I'm going or have I missed the point entirely?

You are probably right about the number of variables.

About the "universal averages"- are those specific to an engine type, or just the average of all the samples they pull? If they were segregated by engine type that would be pretty good information to have I should think, in selecting a good oil for the application.

There are so many variables. Another that isn't even posted here is automatic vs manual transmision. As I looked up things for the 20 pages on oil analisis I posted to my site last week I was reminded of one of the causes of high copper - the trust bearings that wear hevily every time you pop the clutch. In an automatic trans this will be much lower. Compare 5000 miles of hilly city driving with a manual trans and 5000 miles of highway driving with an automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back