UOA are you rich or what ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just done an oil analysis for my van.

44.00 + 5.00 mail = $49.00 canadian ! $ 37.37 U.S !!

It's expensive, very expensive, how can we justify that expense ??? Its nice to know how feel our engine, but to that point ???

How much are you paying on average ??

Richard

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
I've just done an oil analysis for my van.

44.00 + 5.00 mail = $49.00 canadian ! $ 37.37 U.S !!

It's expensive, very expensive, how can we justify that expense ??? Its nice to know how feel our engine, but to that point ???

How much are you paying on average ??

Richard

[ December 04, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

$35.00 thru Blackstone #46 Dyson Package
$7.50 Schaeffer kit thru Bob.No TBN.
Analysis saved me a scrambled(probably) Dodge V-10 engine that costs alot more than the price of an analysis test.

Mark

I pay $27 Canadian for mine, but because I bought in bulk (12 kits) I sometimes drop off the sample right at the lab, so shipping costs nothing. I also get three free Purolator prepaid shipping packages with each box of 12, so that saves on shipping costs too.

I know it costs almost as much as an oil change, but I find it very informative and entertaining too.

well thats a good deal for someone like me who just cant get out of the 3K mile change thing. every time i try to pass 3k miles, i get a sick feeling that doesnt go away untill i change the oil.
the tbn is most any oil would be good at 3k miles anyways.

I pay around $15 plus $1.52 ($1.75 sometimes
dunno.gif
) postage. I use OAI with the Amsoil prefered membership prices. The only info I think I don't get is the flashpoint.

Don't forget, even though many of us do analysis for other purposes, it can show potential problems with an engine. $17 now or a potential $4000 later - it's worth it.

example: my GF bought a vehicle that has been known for headgasket leaks. It had 29k miles on it and the warrenty ran out at 36k. I did a UOA to make sure there was no problems. Everything came back okay, but if it didn't, Ford paying for it to be fixed rather than her is well worth the $17.

I think a UOA could potentially save an engine. If antifreeze was detected in the oil (early enough) it might be possible to correct the problem before the engine is ruined.

However, if a UOA is too expensive for a person, there is a lot that can be learned just by checking out the oil on a dipstick and doing a few simple tests.

Oh, I agree with doing an oil analysis nearby the end of the warranty. My point is that some people seems to do them on a regular basis kind of expensive, but on the other hand like patman says that can be like some sort of hobby!!

To each is own .

Thanks for your reply

Richard

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I do the Schaeffer's analysis ($7.50 each-no TBN or Sodium, or Potassium) It suits my needs though.

No sodium or potassion? What's the point then? How would you know excessive wear is from antifreeze or something else?
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I do the Schaeffer's analysis ($7.50 each-no TBN or Sodium, or Potassium) It suits my needs though.

No sodium or potassion? What's the point then? How would you know excessive wear is from antifreeze or something else?
Rick

Worry about that bridge if he has to cross it...

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Rick

That's why I have Terry read mt tests.

Mark

How would Terry know if he doesn't have the data?
confused.gif

....But if that tickles you just right...
cool.gif

$35 + $1.52 postage for T Dyson/Blackstone analysis.

But I completely agree that after a few analyses on the same engine the reports stop being informative and become just entertainment. Still, its an inexpensive way to get a glimpse as to what is going on inside your engine and to clarify if your maintenance decisions are truly beneficial.

Compared to my $2k BBS wheels and $3k turbo upgrade, I think oil analyses are the cheapest part of my hobby
cheers.gif

quote:

How would Terry know if he doesn't have the data?
confused.gif

....But if that tickles you just right...
cool.gif

Terry knows how to read a UOA so well that he can "fill in the blanks" and determine things based on the rest of the info provided. He's that good!

There is a test for % antifreeze and % H2O on the Schaeffer test.Just dug an old test out and looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back