UOA are you rich or what ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
There is a test for % antifreeze and % H2O on the Schaeffer test.Just dug an old test out and looked.

Correct sir
smile.gif
Althoughpotasium/sodium I believe is an earlier warning signal.

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
I've just done an oil analysis for my van.

44.00 + 5.00 mail = $49.00 canadian ! $ 37.37 U.S !!

It's expensive, very expensive, how can we justify that expense ??? Its nice to know how feel our engine, but to that point ???

How much are you paying on average ??

Richard

I pay $35 for the Blackstone/Dyson package.

It's easy to justify the expense a few times a year.

It's an interesting hobby, and I'd blow more than that easily on one night out with friends.

More seriously, I can justify it for the same reason I buy insurance on valuble items I own. I saw a post on one of the Toyota boards this AM by a guy whos 4Runner threw a rod with only 87K miles on it. Not typical of a Toyota, and he suspects head gasket leakage was a contributing factor. He's looking at quotes from $3000 - $9000 to have it repaired since it's out of warranty.

Regular UOA's might have just caught it...

[ December 05, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Reading a oil analysis without interpretive experience and training is akin to reading your latest CAT scan and learning as you go.

Terry

Hey, some of us have become "expurts" on that too. I've had so many MRI's of my back I can read them myself now...
grin.gif

Correct Rugerman and Pat,
I can use any labs tests mentioned above to get a basic look into the health of the engine or machine. Each lab uses different setups for their battery of tests. Some have more than others and more is better but If I can't definitively confirm an issue I say so.

I personally like the alternating of my in-house kits with the Blackstone kits as I get a cross section of data from both that I can correlate to the engine.

Hey if $35 is killing the budget for oil analysis don't do it. Tyrol is right on, oil analysis for less than $50 is cheap compared to the toys and tricks enthusiasts poor cash into.

I have heard folks gripe here about the cost of oil analysis and NOT balk at $2000 for head work from a problem that I could have caught BEFORE it cost that much saving alot of $$. Just lowering wear rates and correcting a tune issue that went undetected by the computer or backyard mechanic is meaningful and saves money for the user.

All the companies mentioned above are accurate enough to catch any coolant issue in the oil early on. They each just do it differently. Particularily if the person interpreting is DIRECTLY engaging you in the analysis.

Reading a oil analysis without interpretive experience and training is akin to reading your latest CAT scan and learning as you go.

Terry

[ December 05, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back