UOA - Amsoil SS 0W-30 in '13 Ecoboost with 40,792

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, re-post now without my personal information on the report!

First oil change was at 5K with Mobil1, second oil change at 10K with Amsoil. I have been running 10k intervals since. Attached is the report with the 20K, 30K and 40K results. The 50K sample is sitting in my garage and I just did my 60K oil change this weekend. As soon as I get a chance to ship the samples out, I will report back.

IMO, you are overrun your oil. But it is hard to be sure since TAN is not available.
Another thing is I don't like high copper in your UOA.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Whats going on with the copper? Oil cooler?

The Ford 3.5 is just one of those that seemingly leach quite a bit of copper (see universal averages). I'm sure the averages are based on about half the OP's miles, too. Both the boosted and naturally aspirated Ford 3.5's show more copper than you would expect. The GM 5.3 V8 comes to mind as another with higher copper.

It does seem to differ based on oil brands but in general it does run high and tracks with miles.

On another note, member GBL tacked his uoa onto the back of Volk06's recent uoa thread and with nearly 100k on his ecoboost his copper is almost nil. So maybe with higher miles the copper will ease up.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
You have a 2013 truck and already have 60k miles on it?
How are you rolling up so many miles?

I was driving about 170 miles a day for work for the first 16 months of ownership.

Copper has been coming down with each oil change.

TBN is still good at the end of each oil change. The last one got a little thin. I need to get the 2 other samples that are in my garage shipped out. Those were just shy of 10K miles each.

Originally Posted By: timeau
IMO, you are overrun your oil. But it is hard to be sure since TAN is not available.

Not sure how TAN would play into this...

Originally Posted By: latapx
Originally Posted By: timeau

Not sure how TAN would play into this...

Rule of thumb: TBN should be greater than TAN, change the oil otherwise.

Last edited:
I would cut it by 2K. I do not like flash point, which means fuel is getting into it, though UOA does not show huge amount.
Considering it is Turbo, I would definitely cut it to 8K maybe even 7.5K.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Can't you run this oil a lot longer being the Signature Series oils are rated at 25K miles?

25K for N/A engines under "normal" conditions. This is a turbocharged engine so the stresses on the oil is different.

Originally Posted By: latapx
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Can't you run this oil a lot longer being the Signature Series oils are rated at 25K miles?

25K for N/A engines under "normal" conditions. This is a turbocharged engine so the stresses on the oil is different.

Well I would say even turbo engines with IDI and a good tune could get 15k plus no problem. The fuel dilution issue on some of these DI turbos especially the Ecoboost just tell me the tune just isn't quite right from the factory. Sounds like the fatten up the mix under boost for safety a little too much.

That being said if I am doing 8k changes I would do it with a cheaper full synth. PP, M1, MC Full Synth etc.

Originally Posted By: jayg
...if I am doing 8k changes I would do it with a cheaper full synth. PP, M1, MC Full Synth etc.

+1

They do tend to run rich on throttle tip in...almost as if the fuel gets bumped in anticipation of the boost rather than together. When you stomp on it, the exhaust will typically belchsome black smoke and then clear up.

Here is an update on the next 2 oil changes.

Of note is that as of March of 2014 I switched jobs my commute went from 160 miles of 75MPh highway a day to 35 miles of stop and go a day. I've also come to realize that the OEM PCV system on these trucks are garbage and they do not evacuate the crankcase properly under boost conditions. i swapped out the intercooler and there was probably about a half quart of oily nasty gunk in there. After the 60K oil change I have added a catch can and re-routed the PCV system so a lot of the fuel vapors and moisture that was ending up getting sucked in by the intake is being filtered out. I'm changing the current oil in the truck at 65K (I'm at 64K now) just to keep tabs on how things are going.

Let me know your thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
A gas turbo GDI engine. I'd cut the OCI back about 2k miles. Gas is finding its way into the oil, that's what I see from the report.

Cool mods, although I'm pretty sure if it had to go back for warranty work with those mods they'd take issue. I can't wait to see the report after the mods, smart move in my eyes.-RD

Mods? He'll the truck has catted down pipes, full exhaust, intercooler, all plastic pressure piping from the turbos to throttle body have been replaced, cold air intake and custom tuning. After that last sample I did switch the company providing the tuning for the truck so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for posting up your UOA, but maybe edit your posted image to remove personal info.
smile.gif
You can easily do this by opening the image in paint and uploading the edited photo/deleting the original attachment.

Otherwise, I'd say you 'could' try an A/B/A sort of test alternating oils. Personally, I like running the same oil 2 times in a row to get an idea of overall usage since I am OCD.
laugh.gif

However, considering the fuel dilution and it being a DI I'd say see if you can address that issue if possible. I vaguely remember users with the DI having this problem, however. I don't think you'll go wrong with a typical off-the-shelf full synthetic. Try a couple and re-sample for comparison. I've been eager to try PP myself in that grade for the price compared to PU, M1, etc. Let alone boutique like Amsoil or Red Line, etc.

Why would Blackstone's "should be" range for viscosity @100c change from one report to another? Any XXw-30 has a specific range it should be in, which is 9.3cSt to 12.4cSt.

I've noticed this before, so I thought I'd ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back