UOA: 19VWPassat2.0T / Motorcraft SB 5W30 / 3887 mi

I understand your sentiments and assertions.

90% city
87 octane
A couple of spirited drives but mostly soccer dad stuff.

I've seen deposits on GolfR with only 10k miles on the odo with 5K mile oci on VW504 (anecdote but valid). I'll deal with that if/when it happens. Not really concerned.
So, you have intake deposits on Golf R. What is the point of that?
Again, iron at 1 in VW engine after some 4k is unheard of. I have never seen UOA in EA888 with that low iron. Actually I have never seen in any engine. So, I would take this analysis with reserve. Would not be first time Blackstone messed it up.

@edyvw
Point is that (T-GDi/GDi) engines can accumilate IV deposits on any oil at relatively low miles, even on VW/Audi approved oils. No one can predict if or when their car will. I run everything in this car, approved, not approved, 0w20, 5w30 and 5w40.

Also, this Budack cycle EA888 has significant changes in relation to more powerful EA888. So your statement that wear numbers of 1ppm fe is "unheard of in EA888 at 4k miles" is based on what other Budack uoa at this mileage, using 5w30 in a vehicle where 0w20 is the recommended viscosity for 10k mile oci?

This isn't to say BS hasn't made errors in the past but we also can't jump to conclusions that this is the case whenever a UOA doesn't conform to historical trends. There are too many variables to consider. It's my opinion that any daily driven, sedate family vehicle will run just fine on ubiquitous 5w30 with the bare minimum API SP spec at less than 5k mile intervals. But I'm also not trying to convince anyone to do so...it's their choice.

See the differences I'm talking about in the link below...

Last edited:
Lack of concern aside - it’s your car - I find it amusing that Blackstone is encouraging you to run a longer OCI with an oil that doesn’t carry the approvals for your vehicle 🤔
I could be wrong but I've never read where BS gives advice in that area. They only analyze what you submit and give you the facts based on your choice of oil. If wear is low etc., they recommend going further on that oil next interval. As recommended here.

I can certainly understand going off the reservation from a 0w20 in a turbo VW but a 5w30 syn blend strikes me as quite bold. I think the results are impressive too. Excellent grade retention, great flash point for a syn blend the 66 oils always seem to perform above their tier. Remember all the sparkling UOA's Trop Artic used to serve up?

I'm looking for an oil for our new to us Edge now you've got me looking at Motorcraft ha ha.

Thanks for posting.

could be wrong but I've never read where BS gives advice in that area. They only analyze what you submit and give you the facts based on your choice of oil. If wear is low etc., they recommend going further on that oil next interval. As recommended here.
Of course they do. They just advised you to run it for a longer OCI. If they were giving you facts only, as you claim, they would refrain to advice on OCI duration when the oil does not meet approvals. Especially, when the data seems to be questionable. Unless they explicitly told you the ran the sample twice, the Iron content of so off from the Universal Averages, it makes you wonder if they care for statistical significance anymore.

It's my opinion that any daily driven, sedate family vehicle will run just fine on ubiquitous 5w30 with the bare minimum API SP spec at less than 5k mile intervals.
Well, it’s just an opinion. 504/507, however, is sound, peer-reviewed technical data.

@edyvw
Point is that (T-GDi/GDi) engines can accumilate IV deposits on any oil at relatively low miles, even on VW/Audi approved oils. No one can predict if or when their car will. I run everything in this car, approved, not approved, 0w20, 5w30 and 5w40.

Also, this Budack cycle EA888 has significant changes in relation to more powerful EA888. So your statement that wear numbers of 1ppm fe is "unheard of in EA888 at 4k miles" is based on what other Budack uoa at this mileage, using 5w30 in a vehicle where 0w20 is the recommended viscosity for 10k mile oci?

This isn't to say BS hasn't made errors in the past but we also can't jump to conclusions that this is the case whenever a UOA doesn't conform to historical trends. There are too many variables to consider. It's my opinion that any daily driven, sedate family vehicle will run just fine on ubiquitous 5w30 with the bare minimum API SP spec at less than 5k mile intervals. But I'm also not trying to convince anyone to do so...it's their choice.

See the differences I'm talking about in the link below...

EA888 does not have material changes. Please find me ONE UOA that has 1ppm fe wear after 4k, regardless of an engine? Honda, Toyota, VW< BMW, does not matter? What are those significant changes that would influence iron wear, which AGAIN, in ALL VW vehicles is always higher (normal)? Did they change material that internal components are made of? Sorry, but Budak cycle engine is modular engine, which means it shares more with Golf R than it does not.
As for CBU, all oils in EA888 will leave CBU unless port injected like in EU. Approved oils leave certain amount, but for sure LESS amount than syn blend Motorcraft. It is like DPF. You can use Full SAPS oils, but it ain't going to work 150,000-200,000 miles which is lifespan of typical DPF using Low-SAPS oils. That is the point.
I mean it is your car, you can run extra virgin olive oil from Costco. But you lead other people in wrong direction. There is NOTHING in that report that gives us picture how oil performed. If I got UOA that said 1ppm fe wear, I would call them and tell them to get serious, especially the fact that most of driving is city driving.

How long do you plan on keeping the Passat?
I'd like to keep it as long as we've had the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T. We've had that vehicle since Nov. 2012. And my plan is to used Euro oils mostly.
The Santa Fe even got two fills of VWB back when new...go figure. (-;

Last edited:
New MC has a lot more Moly than the old MC

Attachments

• EE51F8C8-9B72-4BEA-9FFB-8307DB93B990.jpeg
    EE51F8C8-9B72-4BEA-9FFB-8307DB93B990.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
I'd like to keep it as long as we've had the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T. We've had that vehicle since Nov. 2012. And my plan is to used Euro oils mostly.
The Santa Fe even got two fills of VWB back when new...go figure. (-;

Best of luck. VW isn’t pulling these oil specs out of their behinds. Hope your oil choices work out in the long term.

I still use 508 too. I just don't go past 7500 - if that.
I plan on using exclusively 508.00, and going no longer than 5000 miles. Our vehicles are short tripped almost exclusively, and regardless of how good the oil is (and 508.00 is quite a stout oil) I prefer to have fresh oil in the sump for such a taxing driving style.

Back