UOA: 19VWPassat2.0T / Motorcraft SB 5W30 / 3887 mi

wemay

Site Donor 2023
These Budack Cycle EA888 may not be that hard on oils...

I won't request TBN/TAN unless I go 7500+
Oil filter used: FRAM CH11784

Screenshot_20210207-075849_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking oil. Looks like a better add package than the last MC I looked at.
Thanks for the post 👍

Those wear metals are practically non-existent. I see no reason to change the oil type and I bet the report looks just as good at 6000 miles.

Wear is low, trace dilution. I see no reason to check for TAN/TBN with less than 5000 miles on the oil.
AHa, and what about oxidation and potential sludge build up? Also, UOA should never be used as wear tool. It can point to certain issues in the engine. Also, VW engines shed under normal circumstances a lot of iron. A lot of iron in VW engines is nothing unusual. The fact that iron is 1 gives me pause that something does not add up here.
In the end, metal numbers are never indicator of what state is oil in or how long it can go, especially in such short OCI. If this was 20K OCI, we could assume oil is OK. But only assume. Without TBN and TAN we really do not know state of oil, not state of an engine.

Ok, I'll run TAN/TBN next run although our opinions differ on the usefulness at 3800 miles. I still have some MC available and will dump the EP and put it in the Hyundai 2.0T since it has less than 500 miles of use. I'll post the MC UOA.

Last edited:
Those wear metals are practically non-existent. I see no reason to change the oil type and I bet the report looks just as good at 6000 miles.

Thanks. I hope so but haven't extended past 3K until this MC run. Baby steps for my psyche.

Ok, I'll run TAN/TBN next run although our opinions differ on the usefulness at 3800 miles. I still have some MC available and will post the UOA.
3,800 miles is useful if you had TAN and TBN. We could get idea how long oil could be run, etc. Also, just bcs. this is synblend 5W30 and shows OK results, does not mean it is OK to sue. You really do not know how much deposits are left behind, what is state of intake valves etc. On top of that what is utilization of this engine? How much hwy miles? City miles? High rev. miles?
UOA are just a way to get general idea what is happening primarily with oil, not engine.
However, I do not understand why would you run this oil in your engine as you really do not have tools to figure out whether this oil is appropriate for that engine. You would have to disassemble engine after repeated use of this oil in various circumstances to get to that conclusion. Point of having approvals on oil as manufacturers can do that.

I understand your sentiments and assertions.

90% city
87 octane
A couple of spirited drives but mostly soccer dad stuff.

I've seen deposits on GolfR with only 10k miles on the odo with 5K mile oci on VW504 (anecdote but valid). I'll deal with that if/when it happens. Not really concerned.

I understand your sentiments and assertions.

90% city
87 octane
A couple of spirited drives but mostly soccer dad stuff.

I've seen deposits on GolfR with only 10k miles on the odo with 5K mile oci on VW504 (anecdote but valid). I'll deal with that if/when it happens. Not really concerned.
Lack of concern aside - it’s your car - I find it amusing that Blackstone is encouraging you to run a longer OCI with an oil that doesn’t carry the approvals for your vehicle 🤔

Back