UOA - 06 Civic SI - 13k on m1 0w40, 114k on eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fcobra - I believe we have fairly different piston/ring designs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried to get oil consumption to decrease. I've used PP, RP, Amsoil SSO, valvoline, M1 0w40, and even supertech synthetic early on...

None of it made much of a difference.

Actually, I take that back, up to 26k miles I was burning a quart every ~2-3k miles. That's when I switched to SSO (and my driving conditions changed too) and the consumption decreased to ~4k miles.

Honestly, again, I'm at 115k with a spotless engine getting an easy 32-34mpg pure highway and 28-29mpg in mixed, aggressive driving. My cats are holding out, my engine runs great, my exhaust tip is reasonably clean...

Why would I tinker at this point?

Quote:

"Thou shall not stop tinkering"

Im pretty sure I read that in the site agreement when I signed up for this site

With a 13K OCI and adding 3.5 qts of oil you would expect a high TBN for this OCI. As for the engine being clean, synthetic oils make a differance. Mine stay spotless. Also I would try M1 0-30.

I have a hard time taking advice from a guy who has a problem with spelling. Asking tig about oil is like watching a mobil ad. Don't drink the Kool aid

The great thing is that if you get an M5, you can use the same oil in it!

IF you were keeping this car, I'd push it to a 16-18k interval.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I have a hard time taking advice from a guy who has a problem with spelling. Asking tig about oil is like watching a mobil ad. Don't drink the Kool aid

I actualy werert addresin yous. Please make note of my PM to you.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The great thing is that if you get an M5, you can use the same oil in it!

IF you were keeping this car, I'd push it to a 16-18k interval.

This!

Are you keeping or ditching the LGT as well? Do you recall if this was API SM? I keep thinking of trying this oil again but wasn't impressed with the 1.9 TBN in 6k miles. I'm curious about M1 HM since I am a chronic tinkerer. Maybe you would have less consumption with M1 HM 10W-40.
smile.gif

-Dennis

I think that a 10w40 would be too thick. A HM 5w30 would be a good place to start if the OP was keeping the car.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
Quote:

"Thou shall not stop tinkering"

Im pretty sure I read that in the site agreement when I signed up for this site

lol - it's the car enthusiast/oil enthusiast motto. No oil is ever good enough, or proven enough, where it does not need to be monitored or replaced with another oil which may even be inferior - simply for the fact that it allows you to tinker
smile.gif

Bluesubie - I'm pretty sure this is my pathway:

Sell the Boxster for ~$8500. Use that money to buy the M5 (along with savings/possibly a modest loan).

Ensure M5 is well sorted while keeping the civic SI.

Once sorted, sell the SI for $6-7k (it'll have ~120-130k miles on it at that point).

Use ~$4-5k of the SI money to modify the LGT at 90k miles: Koni suspension or streetable coilovers, improved caster lower control arm bushings, equal length headers, single cat downpipe, turbo inlet hose, upgraded top mount intercooler, and a custom tune. If the stock turbo has any shaft play at 90k, then I'll replace it as well. Also a new clutch & TSK3 throwout bearing preventatively while I'm in there.

I'm looking for 280-300whp with amazing response/low lag in a DD, along with a firm & comfortable suspension, and great reliability.

So, as of right now, keeping the LGT. Even if we decide my wife (who is now 2 months pregnant) wants something else, I think I might keep the LGT as the beater car long-term.

Btw, yes, this was 0w40 API-SM - just checked my leftovers in the garage.

I deliberately LIKE the M1 0w40 because within 2k miles it's a heavy 30 weight. I don't want a 10w40 which will maintain a solid 40 weight throughout the cycle. Hope that makes sense.

Last thing - The M5 will likely get M1 15w50 9 months of the year and Castrol Syntec 5w40 or 10w40 the rest of the year. That car MAY have a rod bearing issue from being a 5.0 liter getting revved to 7k rpms - it benefits from a strong oil.

That being said, it also takes 10 quarts and tends to consume - I won't be buying ~$10/quart redline or TWS 10w60 either. Probably. We'll see how quickly it becomes my mistress
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

It's a never ending battle. I played around with a few brands and settled with Amsoil as it's cheap for me to get with a PC account and it gets delivered to my door free of charge.

I didn't see much difference with any other brand of oils that i tried, in both performance and UOAs.

When you decide to sell the car (if doing a private sale) just make sure the buyer knows to check and add oil regularly. I service a lot of 8th gen Civics, mostly Si's and every other guy comes to me with a dry dipstick
33.gif
and gets to hear a 30 min lecture while i perform the oil change / maintenance.
grin2.gif

Uh oh - here comes the REAL controversy...
smile.gif

I've been running a drop-in K&N filter on EVERY analysis shown
smile.gif
The same one. Cleaned once every 20-30k miles, no more frequent.

Ok, you're keeping the LGT so I'll continue to talk to you.
lol.gif

Apparently your Civic and my wife's 99 Outback are the only cars ever to show low silicon on a K&N panel filter.
laugh.gif

-Dennis

I'd like to apologize to everyone on the board for asking that question.

That is interesting though. But just think, if you'd been running a fram the silicon numbers might have been negative.........I kid, I kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back