UOA - 06 Civic SI - 13k on m1 0w40, 114k on eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Here's the latest in my continuing runs:

06SI-UOA-114konengine-13konMobilOne0w40Oil.jpg

During this change, at around 105k, the valve covers were removed and the valves adjusted by a honda tech. I took the following photos at that time (with a blackberry, but you can get the gist of how clean this engine is:

Chain.jpg

CamsValvesChainsandChainGuide.jpg

CamsandValves-closer.jpg

115k on the engine now. Been consuming 1 quart every 4k miles [censored] near since new - hasn't changed and frankly, with results like this, I don't want it to change
smile.gif

Gets warmed up gently everyday, then driven hard once warmed up. Engine has never been touched besides a valve adjustment. Entire drivetrain has never been touched. Original 02 sensors, water pump, wheel bearings, suspension....the list goes on. Dead reliable car.

The suspension feels worn out now and it's making some exhaust noises from probably a heat shield. But man, what a car.

I put M1 0w40 back in. These results are great for an oil I'm getting for ~$5-6 / quart.

I welcome comments & questions.

Joe

Nice UOA!

Super clean engine!

What a car!

Keep doing what you're doing!

Nice! Very clean, and while pretty darn thin for a 40wt, it's not an issue in that engine. The results show.

It's basically a thick 0w30, so I don't worry until it's sheared to a 20 weight.

Amazing valvetrain cleanliness. The oils of today sure do keep things clean. I'm glad. If I still had my Si, I'd be creeping up to 8-10k by now.

I took some pics from the fill hole in my 07 Civic EX and will post those along with the latest UOA in a week..

Joe, with these results, considering the amount of top off, are you planning to run the oil longer?

I'm not likely to keep this car much longer. i'm selling the porsche and the civic this year.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
The only thing that bothered me was the oil consumption. 3.5 qts? Really?

Perfectly normal for the high revving engine in the Si model Civic to burn a quart every 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
I'm not likely to keep this car much longer. i'm selling the porsche and the civic this year.

Awww man, I was hoping to see you hit 200k with this puppy. Sucks.

What are you planning to get as a replacement?

I've been dreaming about an e39 m5 for several years. I've finished my master's degree, my wife is 8 weeks pregnant, and i'm financially able. It's time to sell the coupes and get a proper family sedan
smile.gif

I would love to use that oil in all of my vehicles. It is probably totally safe to use in any gasoline engine calling for a 30grade. I had an outstanding UOA on my Altima 2.5s this summer with it.

Great UOA!

Last edited:
I've been dreaming about an e39 m5 for several years. I've finished my master's degree, my wife is 8 weeks pregnant, and i'm financially able. It's time to sell the coupes and get a proper family sedan
smile.gif

Good choice
wink.gif
LOL!
thumbsup2.gif

You stated you've burned that much oil since new, wondering if you have experimented with different oils and different weight oils to see if consumption would change?

I've had similar oil consumption since new as well on the 05 2.4L Accord. The only thing I had done was a valve adjustment. 155k. Runs like new.

Nice results. Have you considered using M1 EP 5w20? A more suitable viscosity for this engine.

Buster, the K20 engine in the Si specs 5w30 not 20.

A 20 grade would be too thin.

Buster, I'm a believer in slightly thicker oils - especially with low friction piston designs such as this engine has. So I like the "lightweight" 40 weight for this car, which obviously shears to a 30 weight quickly.

Leakyseals - I'm used a ton of oils. Those UOAs also reflect Amsoil SSO 0w30 (for like 50k miles), Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (for 20k), and M1 0w40 for the last 2 changes.

None of them had any real affect on oil burning. But the car runs great
smile.gif

Leakyseals - I'm used a ton of oils. Those UOAs also reflect Amsoil SSO 0w30 (for like 50k miles), Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (for 20k), and M1 0w40 for the last 2 changes.

smile.gif

Give the M1 HM a try. Worked for my oil burning conditions, who knows maybe yours too.

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear - at this juncture, i consider the oil consumption to be a good thing, not something I want to "solve".
smile.gif

Buster, I'm a believer in slightly thicker oils - especially with low friction piston designs such as this engine has. So I like the "lightweight" 40 weight for this car, which obviously shears to a 30 weight quickly.

smile.gif

Yeah, I agree; 20 weight is WAY too thin for these cars. There are more than a few cam galling instances, as far back as 2002 which will confirm this as well, when using 20 weight.

Given your consumption, I was going to recommend a switch in oil too, but since you've already tried a few I guess that wouldn't really help much. Mobil 1 was notorious for burning off in K20's, but given that you've tried others it's probably something specific to your motor now. All I know is after leaving M1 and going with GC, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, etc. my 2003 Civic Si doesn't burn a drop of oil with 7500 OCIs and 81K on the clock...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back