Unusual vehicles that you have driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep ..: that one in picture was $27k
sick.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Nash Metropolitan - my neighbours had one and we used to go everywhere in it. Fell on it's side on a gravel road...not a good rally car. They were an Austin A40 with 1st gear locked out to make a 3 speed. Americans couldn't handle 4 on the tree.
This American could. For a brief shining moment, I had a '57 Citroen DS 19. 4 on the tree, a bad hydro-pneumatic brake/suspension,Michelin radials,OHC.

Maybe you're right Silk. Maybe I'm confusing it with the'58 Mercedes, my friend's mother drove, I KNOW that had the 4 on the tree.
grin2.gif

BTW, the DS 19 was a rocket ship compared to the 2CV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Not unusual then, but are today. The best photos I could find are models, and he's really nailed them. I worked on these in the mid '70's, and Doug Hillary had some involement with the company too. We called them doubles, but with the advent of the B Train (most common rig on NZ roads) they are called an A Train, and are now very rare...not considered safe apparently. The trailers were interchangable, they could be a semi or a full trailer, and went around the country dropping off and picking up trailers where needed. We had to reverse them out of the workshop, first time I got in one, I just reversed out of the shop and parked it in the yard. When I got back the foreman asked if I'd driven them before. From then on it wasn't so easy.

We run them in Canada (A, B and C trains). Maximum Canada-wide transport trailer length is 53 feet and combinations can be up to 82 feet; there is also a category 1A Tridem (3-trailer) Canada-wide which is longer still. And then there are also Provincial regulations for non interprovincial/international trains which are longer than Canada-wide, and there are special interprovincials for two adjacent provinces. Canada also allows a comparatively long tractor wheelbase for domestic operation, they can't travel through the US or Mexico (with a trailer attached).

There is no Federal weight limit but the tractor and first trailer must weigh more than the second or third trailer. In practice however all Provinces have weight limits based on the road type and construction.

It's just a natural reflection of long distances and typical product distribution practices (East-West on the mainland is 3,000 miles; Toronto-Vancouver is a common long distance run, for example most Japanese automobiles from port to largest market, of 2100 miles, similarly to Montreal it's 2300 miles).

Ford Thunderbird SC, 1989 five speed manual.

1992 Acura NSX, automatic

Ferrari 360 Modena

V10 Audi R8

First Generation Hummer H1

Nissan Skyline R32 (with US military plates from Korea)

MRAP vehicle

C4 corvette Indy Pace Car

D-9 Caterpillar bulldozer, flew a plane (steered), driven various hot rods, speed boats, (including these 2), drive forklift and various Skyjack lifts at work quite often, tow motors, 5 ton trucks, mobile cranes/cherry pickers, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and likely a few more things I am missing?

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Rear steering fire truck

Very strange,as you have to steer the opposite around turns
I guess that's why Cosmo Kramer was all over the road

too funny, I'd forgot Cosmo's ride with one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back