Unusual vehicles that you have driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the THIRD Mazda brought into the USA.....according to the Mazda rep who was courting my friends father who had a few dealerships.
It cranked.....well, maybe not "cranked"....you know.

I remember everyone else driving the thing MUCH FASTER than I ever would on the local streets.
I also remember the monstrous billow of heat which accompanied opening the door to get out.

There was an Amphicar parked in Hackensack for years and my father said we was going to get one to cross the river to work.
In 1962 he went to fetch a new car....and came home with a Pontiac Catalina 4 door.
I was crushed, disillusioned and that's why I'm an axe murderer today.

The most unusual for me is probably a horse drawn wood hauling sled.

Aside from that, I don't get out much.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I flew a powered parachute

Now that we’ve gone airborne … I drove the Goodyear Blimp …

tpx-200-mts-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
When I worked at the service station, back in the late '70s, I got to drive a variety of vehicles. Mostly cars, different types but not unusual. It could get interesting using the wrecker (tow truck).

The only drive that sticks out in my mind was the time I had to drive a mail truck back to the post office. They build them with right-hand drive in our left-hand drive world. It was a little unnerving, zipping along, driving from what to me was the passenger's side. I guess you'd get use to it, but as my first time, I had poor feel for the side of the vehicle where high speed passing of oncoming traffic was occurring.

Our mail trucks look something like this:

Mail-Truck-by-nyenyec-630x472.jpg

our water Dept has rhd Jeep's. Ya its weird. I can't back one to save my life

I once drove one of those duck boats (amphibious buses) for a little while in the water. I also drove a Hummer H1 that belonged to famous rapper Tupac Shakur.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had a 2004 VW Beetle TDI for a little over a year. Does that count?
crackmeup2.gif

b66kxy.jpg

I don't know if the new Beetles count, but the old Beetles with the engines in the arse end could kinda, sorta, count. My wife (then girlfriend) had two. Them and Corvairs had some interesting handling characteristics.

Off Topic. My brother and I were at the Philadelphia Auto Show the other week. Looking at a new Beetle, my brother was searching for a way to open the trunk. The devil made me tell him "you have to say OPEN NOW into the emblem". He obligingly bent over and started to say "OPEN NOW"... and I started laughing. He straightened up with a sheepish grin. We had a good laugh, he took it well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A seatless unicycle from the 1980s
laugh.gif

My tailbone already hurts from the mere sight of one of those LOL

1) 6x6 army truck
2) Hillside combine (fun when tilted over 45 degrees on a hillside)
3) Rear prop driven airplane
4) F22 flight simulator (better if the real thing)

Not unusual then, but are today. The best photos I could find are models, and he's really nailed them. I worked on these in the mid '70's, and Doug Hillary had some involement with the company too. We called them doubles, but with the advent of the B Train (most common rig on NZ roads) they are called an A Train, and are now very rare...not considered safe apparently. The trailers were interchangable, they could be a semi or a full trailer, and went around the country dropping off and picking up trailers where needed. We had to reverse them out of the workshop, first time I got in one, I just reversed out of the shop and parked it in the yard. When I got back the foreman asked if I'd driven them before. From then on it wasn't so easy.

nz_fleet_rfl2.jpg

The Kenworths were powered by a Scottish built Cummins with a 12 speed Roadranger (4 speed with 3 splits) and we had a couple of Ergo cab Leyland Octopus powered with the same, and Fuso's with the same box. But what I really liked were the LAD cab Leylands, we had Hippo's and Octopus, 680's and 6 speed/ 2 speed - a twin stick...clutchless shifts with both boxes. I've always been a retro, I was riding bikes and driving cars from the '50's back then, and just loved these previous era trucks. Here's the LAD cab Octopus.

7300404686_d73de85be0_h.jpg

Right when I got my TDL at 16 … mom’s friend gave me a Nash like this … within a month I broke the front axle and it got scrapped …

Nash Metropolitan - my neighbours had one and we used to go everywhere in it. Fell on it's side on a gravel road...not a good rally car. They were an Austin A40 with 1st gear locked out to make a 3 speed. Americans couldn't handle 4 on the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back