unusual noise from 2.3 ecoboost

this morning i noticed my 21 ranger was lightly shaking / having a rough idle, almost like a misfire. after the vehicle warmed up it calmed down some. however i kept hearing an intermittent peck/knock sound. sounded like faint knock on plastic type sound. ive never noticed that before. temps this morning are in the lower 60's so its not terribly cold. the rough idle did calm down but it never went away completely. the knocking sound was more noticeable in the cab but coming from the engine area.

your opinions on what it might be are welcomed. im no mechanic, but ive always heard people talk about engine knocks, but i probably have never heard one to recognize if this is what i heard or not. truck has 18k miles on it.

it'd be best to have a perfect explanation written to the service writer and have it documented and take it in for warranty. Bring it in late in the day so they can check it the day after not early in the day and try it again while its warm enough to not do it and tell you nothing's wrong.

As mentioned, get it to the dealer right away.. Have documentation and a recording of the issue if it can be heard.

Had both my turbos replaced in a 2018 3.5 engine. Dealer was cool as ****e, mechanic stated there was an "issue" with both turbos at the same time.. Only one was knocking but they told me there was a design flaw and the other turbo would fail also within another 10k miles.

MY dealer was awesome, I took the mechanic out to the vehicle and we isolated the noise. Much better than having them try and find a noise and you can establish a relationship with the mechanic..

searching shows issues early on but mostly ok now, as noted dont fuss as its under warranty so get it checked + documented as noted above if they find nothing as often claimed so a future issue "MAY" be covered!! almost nothing is cheep to fix on modern vehicles!!

Back