Unused PRO-TEC 101 oil filter cut open / Wix 51515

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Thanks for pics! Not bad for less than a large Coke at McD's, but I still like crimped seams vs. just glued. But that would have made the cost $1.36, and we can't have that LOL
Your Welcome! I prefer the crimped also but that might mean one less inlet hole LOL
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
7,489
Location
Katy, Republic of Texas
Title seems to imply you would have both a Protec 101 and a Wix 51515 filter cut open. This is not the same as a 51515. It is the same as the old Supertech ST2, which I did not care for (I don't like the combo valves in these, and the media strength is questionable to me). Still a decent budget filter, especially for that price.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
2,427
Location
California
The media looks to be very similar to an unused Mobil 1 EP filter I cut open a few years ago, but it's hard to tell just by pictures and video. I'd gladly use this filter for normal intervals. Thanks.
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Nice pictures and Thank You for c&p and video smile
Thank You Adam!
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Looks like Wix combo valve filter, like NAPA Select/Silver, probably good for 5-6K.
Yup I like them upper valves.
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by DGXR
The media looks to be very similar to an unused Mobil 1 EP filter I cut open a few years ago, but it's hard to tell just by pictures and video. I'd gladly use this filter for normal intervals. Thanks.
I'd say mobil filter's have a better media.
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by rollinpete
Got a few of these at RockAuto, $1.35 each. Not a bad looking filter for the price.Enjoy the pic's. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] Click here for video
I wouldn't use this filter, I'm going back to fram ultra's so much better made , who cares about a couple bucks.
 
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
15,635
Location
The Old North State
From "not a bad looking filter for the price" to " I wouldn't use this filter" in less than 12 hours. Of course the Ultra is a better filter, apples and oranges. And for the sake of accuracy using listed PT price and standard Ultra retail, more than "a couple bucks difference." Topic filter is a jobber tier filter, as noted likely good for ~5k mi fci. Topic application uses a combo valve, though that not true of all PT applications, Some use separate dome bypass and adbv. The PT is very similar to or same as the RA sold Auto Extra 51515 recently posted as a member purchase on the promo board. RA lists it as Wix "private label" which for RA means Wix made for AE jobber filter. I don't use topic filter, and don't prefer a combo valve over a traditional separate bypass set up. Otoh, topic filter jobber tier filter sold at a corresponding low price point. Unreasonable imo to expect similar quality and build to a full synthetic filter at ~6+ times the price.
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
From "not a bad looking filter for the price" to " I wouldn't use this filter" in less than 12 hours. Of course the Ultra is a better filter, apples and oranges. And for the sake of accuracy using listed PT price and standard Ultra retail, more than "a couple bucks difference." Topic filter is a jobber tier filter, as noted likely good for ~5k mi fci. Topic application uses a combo valve, though that not true of all PT applications, Some use separate dome bypass and adbv. The PT is very similar to or same as the RA sold Auto Extra 51515 recently posted as a member purchase on the promo board. RA lists it as Wix "private label" which for RA means Wix made for AE jobber filter. I don't use topic filter, and don't prefer a combo valve over a traditional separate bypass set up. Otoh, topic filter jobber tier filter sold at a corresponding low price point. Unreasonable imo to expect similar quality and build to a full synthetic filter at ~6+ times the price.
Yep and I'll tell you why, I'm on the fence right now, But, I was reading some of the responses and I went and checked out just how good the media on this filter is, (It shocked me), with some good pressure with my fingers it ripped fairly easy. I know this filter will last at least a 5,000 mile change, and I plan on using it next oil change, and I will post pic's and a video on how it did.But I'm thru trying to save money on oil filters, I'll try and save money else where. My engine cost more than a couple bucks. As far as cost, I can go on ebay and get ultras for a few dollars more. I still think it's a good filter but i'm leaning towards using better filters.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
15,635
Location
The Old North State
Just to be clear, reply wasn't to convince you to use one or not. More about clarifying what topic filter is and isn't (an Ultra). Whether you choose to use one being aware their use profile, your call. The other member mentioned purchasing the AE 51515 on RA said he'd post pics after he runs one. So should get an idea what one looks like post use.
 

rollinpete

Site Donor 2023
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
986
Location
Western Ma.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Just to be clear, reply wasn't to convince you to use one or not. More about clarifying what topic filter is and isn't (an Ultra). Whether you choose to use one being aware their use profile, your call. The other member mentioned purchasing the AE 51515 on RA said he'd post pics after he runs one. So should get an idea what one looks like post use.
I was watching that post (I think it's the same one your referring to) anyway looking forward to seeing his post.
 
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
8,099
Location
Hudson, NH
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
51515 is a WIX filter part number. Wonder why they would mask the brand name, remove the label, sell the same filter cheaper? https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=51515
A search found several posts on here assuring these filters are Wix. But when I went on RA and starting matching the PRO-TEC filter part numbers to a Wix part number, I found 2 part numbers in use for the same engine. For example the 06 altima shows a PRO-TEC PTL57356MP and a PRO-TEC 763 (Mexico) So who knows..
 
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
15,635
Location
The Old North State
Quote
….A search found several posts on here assuring these filters are Wix…..
The ProTec filter line is in the Wix line up of filters as shown here. I'd describe it as their jobber tier level filter line. While they use Wix numbering they add the prefix PTL and/or add the suffix 101 to that number. I'm confident topic filter at least, is Wix made. As for what Rock Auto may or may not be doing with the Protec line, I have difficulty using them as an authoritative source of oil filter information. Example, recently member purchased a Wix "private label" 51515 from RA, default pic is true Wix (black can) label 51515. What member received was an Auto Extra 51515. That filter seems to be very similar if not identical to topic filter. That said, in a twist there has been a ProTec filter dissection showing at least one application made by Puro. So possible M&H considering consolidating the ProTec line....or not. Another very recent ProTec filter thread with recent manufacture date showed, like topic, Wix construction. To this point, no similar cross over in any Wix label/NapaGold and XP/Platinum.
 
Top