Unresponsiveness of GM Electronic Throttle Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
More control over the engine. Emissions, CAFE but also stability control--instead of pulling timing and fuel (and possibly having too high emissions) they can pull power more directly and attempt to correct for wheel spin and/or loss of vehicle stability.

It's just another degree of control over the vehicle.

And dashpotting... you can't slam the throttle shut, abandoning hydrocarbons in the intake.

Though the 90's version of leaving the idle speed bypass wide open should have handled this just fine.
frown.gif

It is all part of torque management. The Capric has it, so does the Malibu. You can get rid of some it by turning off stablitrack and traction control. With a tune you can get rid of all of it. I don't find it horrible in either of mine.

The problem is widespread amongst cars with DBW and TBs, the response is neither linear nor instant. The fact that the accelerator pedal is now a torque request switch with a map, instead of a cable operated demand, might be good for CAFE but makes driving significantly less enjoyable.

Great tip-in on our HD trucks.

Lousy on the Silverados.

Great on my sig car, but it's tuned by Diablosport.

It's generally the worst on cars seeking to eke out the last mpg....

Merk,

I think they can eliminate throttle position, absolute manifold and other sensors.

I didnt like it at first in my truck. I actually remember hating back to when I read in Motor Trend BMW was using it in their high revving M3.

Now, lets see.

Electric steering, check
ABS, check
Hill assist, check (for manual drivers)

Now, accident avoidance maneuvers and the like and this stuff is nowhere near as subtle than lane management or traction control. This is JohnnyCab stuff on Mars.

Truth be told, just ask the racers, we prbobably haven't been doing as much of the driving as we thought we were doing in quite a few years.

Did it all start with the CDI in a carbureted engine and a collar on some wild bird we found in nature to check and see how far they would travel after being released back into the wild?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
When I removed the dash pot from my RX7, it would blow 3 foot flames from its exhaust on a throttle lift. Loved it.

Did it also sound like a 10 gauge firing off near your ear like all of the rally-prepped, early year FBs did on throttle lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back