Unpopular Opinion: Inline 3s sound better than 4

Yip, I had a 1978 Yamaha Special that had a 3 banger and it did have a nice rumble to it. All my buddies that had 4 bangers admitted it sounded better but was not near as quick.
Yeah, a four banger is always going to have an advantage in top-end horsepower.

But, three cylinder sound better, and usually have an advantage in low to mid range torque.

Just reminiscing about how much better the 3 cylinders I've been in recently sound than 4s.
it´s a half of i6, so it should be decent. i4 sounds like hoover
it does exist 2 cyl too.:D
fiat-twin-air-500-630.jpg

I once drove a 2 cycle Kawasaki 3 cylinder 400 motorcycle. That thing was a beast and had a heck of a lot of get up and go. That was a crack the throttle open and try not to slide off the back of the seat motorcycle. The guy who owned it said he often revved it well into the red on the tack when he was stopped at a red light and it only ran better after he did that. He sent a letter to Kawasaki telling them that and they sent him a coupon for a free tune-up at any Kawasaki dealer.

My 3 cyl. experiences are only with snowmobiles. Both 2 and 4 strokers. Way better sound over the twins for sure.
Have 2 1200 triple 4 strokes in the stable now and had a ton of 600cc 2 stroke triples in the past.
Triple 2 stroke sound was addicting.

My 3 cyl. experiences are only with snowmobiles. Both 2 and 4 strokers. Way better sound over the twins for sure.
Have 2 1200 triple 4 strokes in the stable now and had a ton of 600cc 2 stroke triples in the past.
Triple 2 stroke sound was addicting.
I owned a 1971 Mach III Kawasaki back in the day and it was my favorite engine in any motorcycle I have ever owned.

Saab used to have a 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Did not sound great.
Yes it does! - when it's in tune and you don't have an exhaust leak!

Wife's first car Saab 96 3 cyl 2 stroke triple carb with oil injection.
4 on the tree. NO valves whatsoever.
You change the oil as you drive :)

Ring ding ding ding, RinnNNGGGgg ding ding ding.

The 2-stroke is the reason for the free wheeling, though my Father's Sonett III had it on the FORD V4
which I recall was a dog even in a 1800 lb car

My daily has a 3 cylinder diesel engine. It's basically a Buick Regal but has half of a Duramax 3.0 mated to a 6 speed manual.

For all its shortfalls over a 4 cylinder equivalent, the noise makes up for it. Love the agricultural rumble/thrum it gives off when it's fully loaded, pulling a 1500kg caravan in 4th gear up an incline at 60mph with the engine spinning about 2500rpm. Could be mistaken for a big 6 cylinder.

20220116_140145.jpg

What I will say is, it rattles and rumbles and is generally unhappy under 2000rpm. Being a manual, it's hard to master pulling of smoothly. You cannot pull off quickly, it just bogs down. Once you hit 2000rpm it smooths right out. Compared to the 1.5 4 cylinder diesel engine in my Wife's Dacia which has a lot more grunt and is just a happier engine under 2000rpm.

Yes it does! - when it's in tune and you don't have an exhaust leak!

Wife's first car Saab 96 3 cyl 2 stroke triple carb with oil injection.
4 on the tree. NO valves whatsoever.
You change the oil as you drive :)

Ring ding ding ding, RinnNNGGGgg ding ding ding.

The 2-stroke is the reason for the free wheeling, though my Father's Sonett III had it on the FORD V4
which I recall was a dog even in a 1800 lb car

I also had a Sonett III. For the time it didn't seem underpowered (65 HP). The engine had very little vibration and good torque for it's size. High rev driving didn't get you any more power. The free wheeling transaxle was a PITA and broke a lot.

Back