Unpopular Opinion: Inline 3s sound better than 4

Just reminiscing about how much better the 3 cylinders I've been in recently sound than 4s. The one that stands out to me most was the 1.0 TSI in the T-Cross I had in Germany last year compared to the 1.5 in my Taos. They are the same engine family, slightly different displacement/cylinder but mostly just 1 less cylinder for the 1.0.

The 1.0 sounds way better than the 4, it just has a nice growl and the 4 just is bleh.

Compare

and

I really wish Ford sold the Fiesta ST with the 1.5T (I think they call it the Drsgon engine) here as they do in Europe. It is said to outperform the 1.6T 4 that was in the original Fiesta ST.

I really wish Ford sold the Fiesta ST with the 1.5T (I think they call it the Drsgon engine) here as they do in Europe. It is said to outperform the 1.6T 4 that was in the original Fiesta ST.
Toyota sells the GR Yaris with a TGDI I3 in Japan and Europe. It probably won’t sell here but the new GR Corolla has the same engine - that’s selling here as well.

Toyota sells the GR Yaris with a TGDI I3 in Japan and Europe. It probably won’t sell here but the new GR Corolla has the same engine - that’s selling here as well.

Wow...300hp from a 1.6T...that smokes the Fiesta and it should have Toyota reliability to boot.
I had thought about a Honda Civic SI a coupe of years ago but never pulled the trigger...who knows...I might consider one of these if gasoline returns to normal pricing (the current drop in prices is an election year gimic caused by draining our 'strategic reserves'...)

My Subaru Justy sounded great, fun little commuter car for $5500 Brand new.

Poor four cylinders always fire with all pistons at TDC and BDC, threes and sixes fire with pistons all near mid stroke and on the move.

Subaru Justy Engine.jpg

SUBARUJusty3door.jpg

Last edited:
Just reminiscing about how much better the 3 cylinders I've been in recently sound than 4s. The one that stands out to me most was the 1.0 TSI in the T-Cross I had in Germany last year compared to the 1.5 in my Taos. They are the same engine family, slightly different displacement/cylinder but mostly just 1 less cylinder for the 1.0.

The 1.0 sounds way better than the 4, it just has a nice growl and the 4 just is bleh.

Compare

and

I keep waiting for a deer to jump out in the road.

Poor four cylinders always fire with all pistons at TDC and BDC, threes and sixes fire with pistons all near mid stroke and on the move.
One more exception are Harley V-twins. Shared crankpins, narrow bank angle. The crank has to spin 415 degrees before one cylinder fires and shy of a full 360 for the other. Essentially it acts like two separate engines. Still in use with the Milwaukee Eight and Revolution engines.

I think GM sold the Geo Metro with a standard I3 with the I4 being the “premium” engine.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion. I had Ford's 3-cyl 1.0L ecoboost and everybody said it sounded better than a comparable NA 4 cyl. It sounded more diesel than it did gasoline.

I think GM sold the Geo Metro with a standard I3 with the I4 being the “premium” engine.
I had a Geo (suzuki) Metro when it first came out with the twist beam axle - before GM ruined the handling with an IRS. Great little cheap car - likely the best in it's class for ride handling and driving dynamics. I think it was TBi or at least FFbCarb.

I know this for certain as I test drove a v6 Alfa sedan and was not impressed -- the Suzuki was a better car though it didn't look the part.

Back