Unless it is a misprint?

Originally Posted by scm
It looks like the 5W-20 and the 5W-30 is the same sheet. 10W-30 shows 10.1 for the kinematic viscosity @ 100 C. Also, no longer A5/B5 approved.

They also updated PUP, which retains A5/B5. https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/b7a53dd0-2f04-4910-b035-c4234c72c0d6.pdf

PUP SP GF6 no longer mentions the "up to 65% cleaner Pistons jargon in that new updated link. Yesterday it boasted cleanliness that exceeds. Today it just mentions what all other brands mention ..... that it keeps engines clean.

If that simple, same-as-everyone-else wording sticks into next winter, I will go shopping for a different SP GF6 oil. I want a good cleaning oil for my GDI.... one that stands out in the crowd. My next purchases will include Dexos1 - Gen2/3.

I will burn through my stash of PUP on my two vehicles and likely switch to Mobil 1 EP. Easier to obtain (unlike PUP where I have to order it via Walmart/Amazon), and based off the other thread looks to be more stout than the SN+ formula (with the likely discontinuation of AP.)

The 5w20 looks the exact same except for the gf-6a spec. May be safe to assume 5w30 is the same. The lack of the "cleans 50% better" also doesn't necessarily mean it cleans wose than before. It could very well just be a shift in advertising because all other oils that meat gf-6 are relatively on par with each other, in that regard. It's all marketing anyways; not really worth putting any stock into...

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Misprints on the spec sheet are classic Pennzoil

They've had a spelling mistake in HUGE print since the release of Start/Stop last year and wouldn't you know it....still there!

"Unbeatbale"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
a lot of ridiculous assertions in this thread. JMO.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
They are probably putting 5w20 into 5w30 bottles because it saves on production costs and will work just fine.

There ya go simple_gifts.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
They are probably putting 5w20 into 5w30 bottles because it saves on production costs and will work just fine.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by scm
I will burn through my stash of PUP on my two vehicles and likely switch to Mobil 1 EP. Easier to obtain (unlike PUP where I have to order it via Walmart/Amazon), and based off the other thread looks to be more stout than the SN+ formula (with the likely discontinuation of AP.)

What I like-most about ordering five quarts jugs at Walmart.com is the vast number of different oils they carry, plus all my purchase receipts stay in my custom email folder online. I would never need to print a copy, unless an oil-related problem would suddenly exist at the dealer during my warranty period.

I am now doing the same M.O. with oil filters. At the back of my Owners Manual is a multi-pages section for keeping notes. I enter the date and the mileage of all my oil / filters changes...... that's it. The oil and filter receipts are stored away at gmail.com, sent from Walmart.com

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

They've had a spelling mistake in HUGE print since the release of Start/Stop last year and wouldn't you know it....still there!

"Unbeatbale"

Because virtually no one reads them.
In my 32 years of selling Pennzoil, the amount of times a customer or prospect examined the specifications on a PDS numbered in the single digits. 99.9% cared about SAE grade, and API, and later ILSAC, ACEA, and OEM ratings.

Originally Posted by Scuder

"Unbeatbale"

In my 32 years of selling Pennzoil, the amount of times a customer or prospect examined the specifications on a PDS numbered in the single digits. 99.9% cared about SAE grade, and API, and later ILSAC, ACEA, and OEM ratings.

You are correct, Sir. We are all oil nerds here on BITOG though and we dig comparing various specs on oils we use or want to try.

"Unbeatbale"

Still just a little bit embarrassing IMO.

Originally Posted by 340_Magnum
You are correct, Sir. We are all oil nerds here on BITOG though and we dig comparing various specs on oils we use or want to try.

I respect and appreciate that.
I lurked at BITOG for years, because Google brought me here when I would be looking for information on competitor's products. I was retired for a couple of years before I joined. Mostly, I now try to keep up on affordable oils with sufficient anti-wear capabilities to use in my never been apart 340, which your screen name leads me to believe you appreciate.

"Unbeatbale"

Still just a little bit embarrassing IMO.

What would be embarrassing would be to consistently fail your low temperature pour point requirements (Castrol), or to fail to test a batch of bad additive, unknowingly use it, causing oil to jell in cold temps and blowing up lots of engines (Quaker State).
A typo, I suppose, but everyone knows it's just that.

Back