unknown part fell off car - body aperature exhauster?

Found what looked to be an errant car part sitting in the driveway, unfortunately it had been run over a couple times by the time my wife noticed it and brought it inside
frown.gif

It's a stiff rubber/plastic rectangle about the size of a butter dish. Fortunately it had a Chrysler part number stamped in the rubber so I was able to determine it came from my '07 Pacifica and look the part up.

Part no. 04677631AA
http://www.google.com/search?q=04677631aa

It comes up as a "body aperature exhauster" whatever that is... The diagram included on the parts website is not terribly helpful other than indicating that it's somewhere in the right rear quarter. Curious if anyone knows what this is, why it's on the car, and if I must order a new one and install it? The old one is broken in several places presumably from being run over, but the rubber is also stiff and crumbles when you flex it. So if this is an essential part, I need to order a new one or source one from the junkyard.

[Linked Image]

I would replace it.

It is probably in the quarter behind the bumper, it appears the actual exhauster is in the left side and this plugs the hole in the right side. Exhaust fumes and other exterior fumes/smells and so forth could enter if you don't replace it, or spiders...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
It's a vent that releases cabin pressure when you close the doors, it's tucked up under the bumper cover.

Yeah this. Probably keeps rodents out too.

Bumper covers come off easier than you think. You could also tear out the trim inside your trunk cargo area and look for odd things missing.

From the looks of it you could just get some metal strapping and sheet metal screws and throw it back on... better than it was in the first place if it's prone to fall off like that.

I had the same issue with my 2007 Chrysler Pacifica. The part fell off under the car after shutting the hatch, I had no idea where it came from. I googled the part number and went from there. I ordered a new part from a place in Wisconsin. (Dealers don't seem to have them anymore). The easiest way for me to put in the new part was to remove the right rear taillight, just two bolts, and you can reach right down and install the new part. No need to mess with the bumper at all. So far so good.
My first post!

I had the same issue with my 2007 Chrysler Pacifica. The part fell off under the car after shutting the hatch, I had no idea where it came from. I googled the part number and went from there. I ordered a new part from a place in Wisconsin. (Dealers don't seem to have them anymore). The easiest way for me to put in the new part was to remove the right rear taillight, just two bolts, and you can reach right down and install the new part. No need to mess with the bumper at all. So far so good.
My first post!

Welcome to the forums!

Perhaps the door on the other side is stuck closed and the pressure when you close the hatch caused this to blow off. Maybe you should check it?

Perhaps the door on the other side is stuck closed and the pressure when you close the hatch caused this to blow off. Maybe you should check it?
The piece that fell off was in worse shape than the picture above, I was surprised it stayed on as long as it did. I will check the doors and keep an eye on it, I didn't think about that, thank you.

I had pulled the engine under-covers to replace the fog lamps (9006) in the LS400. When I pulled the cover in front of the wheel well this plastic thing fell out.

20200808_004028.jpg

I looked on the other side of the car but there was no corresponding part on that side. I looked through dealership diagrams (Toyota diagrams are pretty bad) and can't locate where this came from. When I was doing the timing belt last year, I did find the nut that secured it.

There were no recorded collisions for this car and dealership maintenance records only show routine maintenance; the car had only 36k miles on it when I purchased it in 2008. The only issues were dead batteries.

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic detour.

Last edited:
Back