Universal sockets ??

Are universal sockets worth buying ??

Do universal sockets really work on 6 different socket types??

I did buy a small Husky universal socket set from Home Depot the other day.

I like the appearing quality of the Husky universal sockets. Was not too much money. I just like the possibility of being able to utilize them with many different types of sockets.

Have you ever used universal sockets rooflessvw ??

I see where your coming from and that makes sense.

I say no. I received a set as a gift they just set in the box and don’t really get used. I can’t think of one time I used them.

Have you ever used universal sockets rooflessvw ??

I see where your coming from and that makes sense.
Honestly, I haven't had a reason to. I have 6 and 12, shallow, deep, 8 point, E, you name it.

I would consider a set for the trunk, for use in an emergency.

I think I have a set of Husky ratcheting wrenches somewhere with the universal type drive. Haven't used them.

Yeah rooflessvw I have 12 and 6 points and others like torx etc.

I have a rather decent Husky 6 point set that has like 144 pieces to it.

The only point of having these might be if you're traveling and have to pack light. Otherwise, you pretty much know what you will need for the day, metric or standard, and you put those in your tool box.

A set came with the Kobalt gearless ratchet. Another clearance Kobalt set had nice box wrenches that were universal, or spline drive. The spline teeth are supposed to grab the flanks on the fasteners. They seem to work fine for normal use, not sure if they would survive torture testing. Everything seems true about what they can be used on.
Looked at the Metrich video, those are not what I was talking about, look pretty nice.

Last edited:
They’re usable, but I cannot fathom a trip where I couldn’t carry my full set of “normal” sockets. My Ram 1500 has the short bed: 5’7”, I would think that’s enough for a travel tool set.

I have a good set of 6 point and 12 points as well. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets. And a good number of ratcheting wrenchs from Gearwrench.

Here is an interesting test looking at how sockets of different types (6pt, 12pt, universal) interface with a nut when tightened. Specifically, how close is the contact surface to the corner of the hex nut.

Oops, wrong sockets, was thinking of these.

TMU161A.jpg

Is this the same set from TV ads from about 10-15 years ago?

If so, what became of the "Coveted German design award". The stationery it was printed on was cool looking.

Back