universal coolant in 2014 toyota yaris?

yaris sits in sw desert condo underground parking garage 6/12 months at various intervals, i.e. not in one continuous period. on a battery tender when sitting. semisynthetic 12-18mo oci at 3000 miles. car is now at 58000 miles, bought from hertz in 2016 at 43000 miles. when i bought it i saw (wasn’t allowed to copy) completed work order from local car care franchise noting that all fluid changes were done.

when checking fluids this time after it was sitting noticed that coolant reservoir level is halfway between min and max. maybe it was that way before, unsure, but i am anal about peering under the hood. i like my fluids near max level. what’s unusual is that my trip to sw desert locale was delayed due to virus, so unlike other times i am driving in summer 110+f heat. no leaks noted at all. car runs fine. thanks in advance for your insight!

1. when to do a coolant (with brake and auto transmission) fluid flush? i have read that the yaris can wait to 100,000 miles that will occur in 13 years in the future at my current useage, which seems way too long.
2. am i ok with coolant at midpoint level for time being?
3. should i just topup with distilled water, maybe one cup is all that is needed?
4. current coolant seems orange, not pink. for a topup is this (or another) universal coolant ok: CARQUEST Oil & Fluids Extended Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant, part 401

I have changed my water pump on mine 2weeks ago....
It was original one with 2007 stamp on it....a little leaky around the bearing (its a feature with EU Yaris of that vintage)

Out went whatever red/pink coolant was in there....most probably it was red Toyota LLC one.....in went pink Basf/Glysantine G40 (G12++)

Was aiming towards new G13 (VW TL 774 J)...but was unable to find it in a car stores around...&didnt have enough time to buy it online....

It works without complaints :)

EDIT: btw.... New G13 coolant can be mixed with anything else (yes you would compromise it with that....but you wont get a mayo inside your engine)....if that helps you!

I think it's 10 years or 100,000 miles. So, it's due in 2024 for the coolant. I don't flush. I just drain and refill with Toyota pink. Coolant expands and contracts due to temperature. Any place between low and full is fine. If you fill to full when it's cold, it will overflow when it's hot. My Rav4 went 300,000 miles with universal coolant and never had a problem but I'd just stick with the pink on my current Toyota vehicles.

Prestone Cor-Guard does meets Toyota’s alternate definition of coolant that’s acceptable for use. If that Yaris is anything like a Prius gen 2/C or a Scion/Echo still using the 1.5L 1NZ engine, the only thing that sees coolant that’s sealed with silicone RTV is the front cover that’s also the water pump housing. I’d use either the Asian pHOATs or Prestone with no issue.

Prestone Cor-Guard does meets Toyota’s alternate definition of coolant that’s acceptable for use. If that Yaris is anything like a Prius gen 2/C or a Scion/Echo still using the 1.5L 1NZ engine, the only thing that sees coolant that’s sealed with silicone RTV is the front cover that’s also the water pump housing. I’d use either the Asian pHOATs or Prestone with no issue.
That's weird, the 1NZ-FE in my old ECHO has no parts sealed with RTV that come into contact with coolant. The front cover does not seal any water passage and the pump is entirely separate.

I’m gonna have to look at the TSRM again. If there isn’t RTV sealing the coolant passages leading to the WP on a NZ engine, then Prestone would be OK.
Toyota’s V6s and V8s use a Valley plate that incorporates the thermostat housing and water bypass - it bolts up and covers the coolant passages in the block. I can see 2-EHA wreaking havoc on that seal if the right RTV is not used. Toyota sells a specific ThreeBond 1282B, it’s a $60-90 tube of silicone but it holds up to coolant. Many mechanics are using FIPG 103(TB1207C) instead. Cheaper and it does claim long-life coolant resistance, but not sure how it will hold up with SLLC.

Back