United Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
i agree and if security tells you to move-- rather than hold up departure of 200 people, you should move.

Maybe, maybe not. If I'm sitting beside my wife and it's a huge problem to make things work out at the destination if we're split up then maybe they can roll the dice again. And security doesn't have to bloody a traveler but then again they HAVE to get him off or that stupid system won't work at all if people say no thanks.

I recently flew to Pittsburgh and the trip out on Delta was bad from the start. Announced late departure hours before flight, overbooked, and what is this "seat assigned at gate stuff"? I was 3rd from last to get a seat and was convinced I was being bumped. Then the connection at Detroit was overbooked and late as well. Too much stress. The return flight on Southwest was great, the way it should be.

Astro14's post was well written and informative but the only data point I'm interested in is MINE, as is every other person flying!

Unfortunately we have entered into the age of misinformation.
Good thing we have a subject matter expert for this particular topic, thanks Astro, that is willing to share the real picture. Imagine how easily the misinformation can spread if people like Astro decided to stay silent?

I incorrectly stated flight crew when I meant cabin crew. I understand a pilot is minor in cost of flight. It does not appear domestic carriers are the Safest ones. That being said I believe in statistics and the chance is SO low something will happen and that if something happens the pilots training or lack thereof come into play it does not concern me if pilot trained in US or abroad.

I disagree on video conferencing and worked at three large us employers who use it. Also small companies for internal meetings. Air travel is avoided successfully. That being said face to face is important.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I incorrectly stated flight crew when I meant cabin crew. I understand a pilot is minor in cost of flight. It does not appear domestic carriers are the Safest ones. That being said I believe in statistics and the chance is SO low something will happen and that if something happens the pilots training or lack thereof come into play it does not concern me if pilot trained in US or abroad.

I disagree on video conferencing and worked at three large us employers who use it. Also small companies for internal meetings. Air travel is avoided successfully. That being said face to face is important.

I had a hard time reading this so I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying the US domestic carriers are not the safest? How did you arrive at that conclusion. There are many things to deal with in a culture of safety, including the FO questioning the Captain on a decision. Some cultures still do not allow this. The Captain is God. The end result is the Asiana crash in SFO several years ago. The captain would have never listened to his crew on the flight deck so they kept quiet for the most part though obvious signs were there that they should have gone around. Even after that crash, has this changed? Nope.

I hope you clarify.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

The numbers seem to indicate that pets are more likely to die or be injured on United than any other airline.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/04/26/united-airlines-animal-deaths-flights/100925100/

The article you linked doesn't seem to support your statement.
Quote:
United didn’t have the worst statistics when compared with how many animals it was transporting during the last couple of years.

During 2016, when United transported 109,149 animals, it had incidents of deaths or injuries in 2.11 out of every 10,000 animals, according the department. Hawaiian Airlines, which transported only 7,518 animals, had a higher rate of 3.99 deaths or injuries out of every 10,000 animals.

During 2015, when United transported 97,156 animals, it had 2.37 incidents per 10,000 animals, according to the department. Envoy Air, which transported only 1,673 animals, had 5.98 incidents per 10,000 animals.

A more accurate headline of: "More Animals Die on United Airline Flights Because They Carry More Animals" doesn't fit USA Today's agenda though.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Yeah, sure, OK...bash unions and my pay if you like, but if you want a former US Navy fighter pilot with 30+ years of flying experience operating your airplane, you're going to have to pay. your cost, as a ticket-holder, is $1.50/hour for the Captain.

Now, if you're OK with a third-world trained pilot who meets the minimum standards, well, sure, that pilot will work for cheaper...and you've got what you paid for..

Sure hope everything remains routine on that flight.

Exactly!

People act incredibly entitled, bratty and ungrateful while flying. Willfully ignoring or forgetting the dedication and passion of those who make it all happen.

Pilots, for example don't get trained for free. Pilots get degrees from excellent universities, often joining ROTC. Pilots pay for flight training, paying for thousands of hours of flight time, some join the military for many, many years. They also maintain an exemplary level of physical fitness. When the time comes to fly the public, they have paid their dues, in full.

Furthermore, the risk that individual pilot takes is stunning.

1) As nearly any health issue is career ending. All that time, all that money, can be for nothing when a health or injury related disaster strikes. It's more common than people realize. Happened to me at age 33, in the hospital with heart failure.

2) Flying is often not family-friendly for the pilots. Family members do become annoyed with the schedules, the lack of presence and so on. While many pilots can retain a family life, many cannot.

3) Job loss due to airline bankruptcy or layoff's can be catastrophic. Often the recently re-employed pilot starts at the bottom again.

It's no wonder the "Career" has lost much of it's appeal. Yet the flying public could not care less.

Last edited:
Just to add to Cujets comment, he is correct about the medical issue for pilots. Something you or I get diagnosed with could be a career ender for a pilot. They have to get regular flight physicals from specific doctors trained in aviation. Aviation Medical Examiners I think they are called. All of this is overseen by the FAA

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

The numbers seem to indicate that pets are more likely to die or be injured on United than any other airline.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/04/26/united-airlines-animal-deaths-flights/100925100/

The article you linked doesn't seem to support your statement.

I believe that over the last 5 years United are the worst. In 2016, they were second, behind Hawaiian. In 2015, they were second behind Envoy.

Looks like the airlines have finally figured out that goose stepping in jack boots against undeserving passengers is bad for business and their reputation. Wow, it took major incidents to finally wake them up ... rightly so. Happy flying in the "friendly skies".
grin.gif

I will only add I flew from Caribbean to miami finally to Boston with family of 5 and found the entire experience wonderfful on American. This goes from airport personal all the way thru to flight crew and pilots. We were pulled up thru lines on occasion.

I believe my 2.5 year old girl who gets lots of attention helped with security, documentation control, border patrol etc and TSA. The pilots pulled my 9 year old got. into cockpit who answered her questions and did nice photo op for her

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Now Delta is in the news for kicking a guy off a flight because he apparently couldn't follow the rules and keep his arse in his seat.

http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/urgent-trip-to-restroom-gets-man-kicked-off-flight/434510265

Guess he should have just relieved himself in his seat and let the whole plane smell it to their destination.

Another situation that shouldn't be real hard for an airline to handle.

Makes me wonder what his schedule was like (running late or super quick turn around on a connecting flight) and how long they sat there before getting airborne? Maybe it would have been prudent for him to go before boarding? Seems natural to us on BITOG, but some people have really odd thought processes.

The genie is out of the bottle now. Every single disgruntled pax will have a vertical video and a viral audience, with airlines left holding the bag.

Yep - in my 26 years of constant flying - I have observed airlines about the same and often better - and passenger behavior going downhill the whole time - more and more "attitude", last minute boarding, more and more "stuff" being stuffed into the aircraft, and piling on at the check in. United normally has one of the best set ups out there with screens/maps showing upgrade standing and wait listed passengers. I'm not changing my opinion of UA when I think the crew, LEO's, and the passenger could of all done better. Congress will now "grill" and deal - mess things up for the long haul ...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: madRiver
i think the entire process of security, charging for luggage, overbooking, expensive fairs from US airlines(check out euro fares of what they could charge and union old flight crew does not paint a pretty picture for US airlines overall.
....Now, if you're OK with a third-world trained pilot who meets the minimum standards, well, sure, that pilot will work for cheaper...and you've got what you paid for..

Sure hope everything remains routine on that flight.

Indeed...I immediately thought of Leon Singer as 'Willie' the pilot in the Lemmon/Matthau cruise-comedy Out To Sea. Elaine Stritch, Dyan Cannon, and Gloria DeHaven all arrive at the 'aero-porto' only to be horrified by both the plane & pilot.

Frustrated the radial won't light off, he begins cussing and beating the dash panel. Absolutely hillarious.

"Have a Nice Flight!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back