Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran the Tiger Paw on my minivan for years. Not the best tires, but it suits the daily driving needs. I get them from BJ's. On ice and snow/slush, believe or not, it did better than Michelin OEM tires which were on my ten new Camry.

Just went out and checked my daughters car. General Grabber HTS60's The best tire she ever had on that 13 Rogue. Drive great, excellent snow grip, quiet, great overall handling and modestly priced. Told my tire dealer we wanted a top notch tire at reasonable pricing and recommend them. They go on like the Energizer bunny.

Originally Posted by Ddub
I was thinking about putting Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my wife's Volvo (234/45-18) when the OEM P7s need to be replaced later this year or early next, but based on that should I consider the General Gmax AS-05? Similar warranty, but quite a bit less expensive.

It depends on the car's sound deadening and your tolerance for tire noise. I had the AS-05 on a 2016 Mazda6 (which isn't exactly a paragon of sound deadening) for a summer and a half - it was a generally very good tire and a great value, but the complaints about noise are real. I wasn't bothered by the tread growl, but if you are, it's a point to consider.

BITOG has spoken and I have listened.
smile.gif

General Exclaim HPXs will be the new shoes for the Sonata, and there's no going back now! Thank you to those who made thoughtful recommendations and/or spoke from 1st hand experience. I appreciate the assist.

Well I was going to say that I've never used Uniroyal until this exact tire on my Elantra. The dealer replaced them before putting it up for sale (otherwise I wouldn't have let them replace the tires). I'm about 15k in on this set. So far, I'm not completely blown away, but I am very impressed. Way better than I thought they'd be. Seem to be on track for wearing the claimed 75K too. Good grip in dry and wet conditions, not noisy. No snow experience yet.

But I guess it's irrelevant now...

Merely 1 and a half data points:
My dad ran a set acquired in 2011 for something like 70,000 miles (I recall him saying 80k, but I'll be conservative here) miles on a 3rd generation Camry. And we ran a set on a Windstar, though replaced the car before the tires were worn (iirc - something like 20k miles with no problem).

Agree. I haven't had a set in a long time, but the last set through a used car had one that was crazy out of round, with easily 2-3mm deviation between high spot and low spot. identified by spinning the tire against a fixed piece of chalk. It was so bad that using a wood planer to shave off the high side over a few shave-measure-shave cycles made it usable. After experiencing that, I promptly saved $ & replaced all 4.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back