Uniroyal Nailguard no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I inquired about Nailguards for a 14 inch rim and was told they don't make them in 14 anymore, but was able to get 15 inch for my pickup. Now the Uniroyal dealer tells me they are being (or have been) discontinued. Bummer. Seems to me a great tire. I realize flats are rare, but they do occur and usually at the most inconvenient time (anytime it inconvenient, right
grin.gif
). Anyway, I hope something comes out to replace it for those of us who want one less thing to worry about.

Almost nothing is made in 14 inch sizes anymore, except the extremely narrow ones for base model Civics, etc. I am having problems finding a good selection of replacements for a 1972 Buick.

They came stock on a Montana Mini Van the wife had. I wasn't impressed with them (one got a nail in it they couldn't patch) so I had them all replaced with Yokohamas which performed much better. I've never had good luck with Uniroyals.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Almost nothing is made in 14 inch sizes anymore, except the extremely narrow ones for base model Civics, etc. I am having problems finding a good selection of replacements for a 1972 Buick.

Take a look at www.tirerack.com. They don't have a listing for 1972 Buicks, so I guessed at 225/70-14 and came up with 13 different tires.

I just got some 225/70-15 Yokohama Avid S/T all season tires from them for $51 each. They are good tires. Smooth, quiet and good handling. They also have them in 225/70-14

I am talking about going to local tire stores and finding something in stock, which I could not. 215/75-14 is closer to the original G78-14 profile and even Tirerack only has three passenger tires.

Thanks,

I think my local Uniroyal dealer will be able to cough up some 14's for the Aerostar, though the last one I bought there, after it had a blowout, was rather narrow. Maybe have to special order them.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

Just got new tires for the Aerostar's 14-inch wheels. The tire dealer said they don't make new cars with 14-inch anymore. He used to stock six models of 14-inch tire, but now only has two. I suppose when I go back in 5 or 6 years for another set, he might only have one, or I could find myself buying wheels too!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back