Unique oil application: Need expert advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just recently found this site thru a Pontiac website: www.performanceyears.com What a great find! I have been going crazy trying to find the perfect oil for my application and this site is just what I have been searching for. By the looks of it, there is a huge knowledge base here, so I hope someone can help.
Just finished my long time project car, the engine is a 1970 Pontiac 455 fitted with a Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller camshaft. I have 200 miles on the motor and one oil change. I am currently using Rotella T 15w40 but I know there has to be something more suited to my application. The car is only driven in the warm weather months, approx. 3000 miles a year with occasional trips to the drag strip. After a previous mishap with the former engine, I have equipped this one with a Canton/Mecca oil filter system and their Accusump accumulator with a solenoid to prelube the engine. Also have a road race oil pan with trap doors for cornering applications. All I need is the perfect oil! dino or syn? Since this is a hobby car, oil change intervals would be frequent and due to my rather high investment costs, I am looking for the best possible lubrication. Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Kevin

I guess my worry started after hearing that Rotella T did not have the friction modifiers that gasoline engines need. That may have been misinformation. Also, with all the synthetic oils on the market these days I wondered if any provided better protection....

quote:

Originally posted by romulus:
I guess my worry started after hearing that Rotella T did not have the friction modifiers that gasoline engines need. That may have been misinformation. Also, with all the synthetic oils on the market these days I wondered if any provided better protection....

...Gas engines do NOT NEED friction modifiers. They are there because of the need for increased fuel economy.

Rotella is good stuff, but how about trying Delo 400 15w-40 the next time around? Or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40? They both seem to be a little bit better than Rotella.

Like you said, synthetics are good, but unless your running extended oil change intervals, I don't see the point.

Pour some Delo 400 in and go run the heck out of it!

You could use Redline or Amsoil but I recently tore apart my boat engine that spent lots of 6000 + rpm time using delo400 oil and the insides looked new.

[ March 25, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

I'd try the Delo or Delvac 1300. The ultimate would be Delvac 1 Synthetic. But you really would want to utilize extended drains for it to be practical. If money is no object go with the Delvac 1. Another choice could be Amsoil 10W-40, Mobil 0W-40 or a mixture of perhaps 2 quarts Mobil 1 15W50 with 3 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30. Then there is the Shaeffers Supreme 700 Supreme 15W-40.
welcome.gif

Thanks Guys!
worshippy.gif

After work, proceeded directly to Autozone to get some Delo400. Must be good stuff because between 2 stores, I only managed to get one gallon! Lots of SAE30, though.. They promised to have more tomorrow. Hey, the blue container matches the car!! Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back