UNI, S&B or AEM? (offroad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELS

OK, this is for an off road clamp-on application.
Single cylinder bike motor...

K&N passes dust... I can see it in my intake...
Brand new, factory oiled, one short ride.

It passes dust, end of story.

Maybe some tacky filter oil would stop that? I don't know...

So anyways, there is my 3 other choices besides trying a different oil on the K&N.

They are listed in order of price....
UNI, S&B, AEM
$20, $30, $50.

I had foam on this thing before and never saw a trace of anything. So I know the $20 filter will probably be acceptable. Then S&B is K&N style, but 8 ply and I can run an outerwear. And then there is the AEM which is expensive, but is supposed to have superior filtration.

I just don't have any idea what the flow will be like in comparison.
I do worry about it though because a small flow difference is worth several HP on this small engine.

And I have no idea how you go about cleaning AEM.

HEEEELP!!!!
21.gif

I'd go w/ UNI since off road bikes and atv's are really their specialty. The aem would probably do a good job, but I don't think it's worth twice the money for a dirt bike filter.

I can only comment on the AEM. I have an AEM dryflow and my town has several gravel mills and rock quarries. There is always a very fine dust in the air that coats everything. Despite that, my last UOA with my AEM dryflow (on a short ram intake) came back with an Si reading of 4.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
What about a K&N filter wrap? Think that would help?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

Well, the trouble with those is, they pass the same dust as the filter.
Well I take some of that back, they filter away larger particles that the filter will actually pass.

So there is a range there of larger particle that it will stop.
But the fine stuff passes through both.

Why pay for a filter wrap ? You can cut a discarded pantyhose to fit your filter and it does the same thing, filter large particles such as sands, for free.

Well, I found different oil for the K&N.

Plus I found a few more filters as well...

To be honest, I like the AEM idea in a way.
Seems like it would filter very well...
And on the one hand a car sized filter should flow plenty for a bike.

However, I keep thinking there is another part of flow...

Like if the filter I have now rates at 850 cfm...
And the AFE rates at 550 cfm...

Well I don't need any where near that cfm... but where I drift off into thought at is how much vacuum is required to flow that much?.... And with displacement in cc instead of ci... I start to imagine it's more about HOW EASILY a given filter can flow 100 cfm... instead of how much it can flow max...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back