Unemployment fraud

Pew

I think I just got hit with the Unemployment Fraud. I just got two letters back-to-back from the Illinois unemployment office, one saying that I got laid off last month and shows my benefits. Then I opened another one, saying that the claim was fraudulent, and my employer caught it. I confirmed with my company's controller that IL Department of Employment Security caught it but to put in a fraud claim anyways. I did go on the IDES website to file fraud and my checked my credit report, which has been locked for a bit over a year and nothing out of the ordinary. Anybody else experience this? I'm pretty careful with my personal information and the worst I've personally experience was somebody somebody lifting my CC number in Kingman, Arizona once somehow (I didn't even stop for gas, just inside for the bathroom.)

Also, is there anything else I should do other than keep a close eye on my credit/SSN usage? I don't really want to apply for a new SSN but I will if I have to. How do they even do this? I'm pretty familiar with ways people steal CC information but I though unemployment claims needed a lot of personal information but I've never done one so I don't know the entire process.

Last edited:
I think I just got hit with the Unemployment Fraud. I just got two letters back-to-back from the Illinois unemployment office, one saying that I got laid off last month and shows my benefits. Then I opened another one, saying that the claim was fraudulent, and my employer caught it. I confirmed with my company's controller that IL Department of Employment Security caught it but to put in a fraud claim anyways. I did go on the IDES website to file fraud and my checked my credit report, which has been locked for a bit over a year and nothing out of the ordinary. Anybody else experience this? I'm pretty careful with my personal information and the worst I've personally experience was somebody somebody lifting my CC number in Kingman, Arizona once somehow (I didn't even stop for gas, just inside for the bathroom.)

Also, is there anything else I should do other than keep a close eye on my credit/SSN usage? I don't really want to apply for a new SSN but I will if I have to. How do they even do this? I'm pretty familiar with ways people steal CC information but I though unemployment claims needed a lot of personal information but I've never done one so I don't know the entire process.
Since they knew your employer and SSN the fraud occurred closer to home. This is different than skimming a CC number and running up charges.

Credit is locked so I wouldn't worry about it. The system is working as intended.

Since they knew your employer and SSN the fraud occurred closer to home. This is different than skimming a CC number and running up charges.

Credit is locked so I wouldn't worry about it. The system is working as intended.

I'm trying to recall where I would have used my SSN in the past 3 years and the only places I could think of is work and I think when buying my car.

I got called down to the payroll office a few years ago regarding this exact same thing. The only way anybody is going to get any unemployment funds is if the company you used to work for doesn't catch this and just pays it. If they're paying any attention at all, the payroll department is where it dies. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your credit anyway, so I think you're ok. Your absolute last resort would be applying for a new social security number, because that sounds like a great big headache at retirement, or a way to get screwed out of benefits due to clerical error.

I live in Jupiter, FL, which has traditionally been a wonderful place to live, but is now a Sanctuary City. The troubles that come with that are flat out unreal. There is an elusive but well known underground SS number fraud "service" that helps out the new residents (you know what I mean).

While it could be related to your use of the number somewhere. I'd guess the fraud originated elsewhere. My reasoning is that a great many of these new residents seem to have functional numbers that work for their purposes. Probably from a database.

Good for you that your credit is locked. Hopefully all three bureaus and there are others but an acknowledged 4th that you should also do = Innovis

I can see it being very unsettling but at least your credit is locked. Just about every Social Security Number has been exposed.
The hackers just pick one a piece to work on, with over 300 million Americans that is impossible to cover everyone, you're a fish in the ocean. Who knows, maybe it was your company that was hacked. Just stay alert and also check your home tax bill from time to time to make sure it is still in your name. Title theft has been on the rise.

Disclaimer. Im not an expert and I am not saying dont take other action such as changing your SSN just looking "in" I dont know if I would bother. Your number is everywhere including every federal and your state government offices as well as every doctor and dentist you go to.

Last edited:
So basically someone can claim your home and evict you? Or just take your tax refund?
I haven’t followed up on it, but it’s far worse than that. They end up with the title to your home in some cases or take out a home equity loan on your property.
This is not to say you cannot contest it and get it corrected.
If you do a search online for home title theft there is a lot of information.
I don’t want to say it’s common but it happens and almost seems impossible if your credit is locked. But I don’t know much about it.

Last edited:
Disclaimer. Im not an expert and I am not saying dont take other action such as changing your SSN just looking "in" I dont know if I would bother. Your number is everywhere including every federal and your state government offices as well as every doctor and dentist you go to.
I would suggest opening an online account at Soc. Sec. GOV
BEFORE the crooks do it.

I haven’t followed up on it, but it’s far worse than that. They end up with the title to your home in some cases or take out a home equity loan on your property.
This is not to say you cannot contest it and get it corrected.
If you do a search online for home title theft there is a lot of information.
I don’t want to say it’s common but it happens and almost seems impossible if your credit is locked. But I don’t know much about it.
There have been a number of cases of mortgaging or outright sale of someone else's house in Canada recently. A vacant house (owner is out of the country) that's owned outright or has only a small mortgage seem to be the opportunity. They sell the house or take out a large mortgage and disappear.

Lawyers and real estate agents not requiring the "owner" to appear in person has been a factor.

Title insurance offers protection for both the owner and the buyer.

In one recent case someone bought a fully furnished house, did some renovations and sold off some of the furniture. Then found out the seller hadn't owned the house. Nasty.

...The only way anybody is going to get any unemployment funds is if the company you used to work for doesn't catch this and just pays it. If they're paying any attention at all, the payroll department is where it dies...
I wish this were true. Someone filed a false claim on my wife for unemployment in our state of Nevada during the midst of C-19. Prior to the claim being made, she had been retired for 5 years.
The state unemployment office appropriately denied Nevada benefits, then turned around and approved generous Federal C-19 related benefits. The company cited as last employer (she never worked for them) had been closed for 4 years and even was in another state. Almost like "We won't give away Nevada money for fraudulent claims, but Federal money, sure!" She is convinced the fraud originated from a state unemployment office employee or subcontractor.

No one is allowed to ask for a SSN (SIN) in Canada except for employment or investment (ie taxation) purposes.
Medical?

In the USA everyone has your SSN and I’m sure everyone has had their number exposed.
Locking credit is an easy helpful tool and as someone just mentioned setting up your online SS account is very important.

Medical?

In the USA everyone has your SSN and I’m sure everyone has had their number exposed.
Locking credit is an easy helpful tool and as someone just mentioned setting up your online SS account is very important.
Not for medical records either. The use of our SIN is only permitted for those things that relate to taxable income - primarily for employment and investments.

Your SIN is recorded on your income tax records, year end income slips, year end slips for investment earnings, and that sort of thing. And of course your employer is allowed to ask for, retain and use your SIN in reporting your income, tax deductions, etc. Similarly your bank and your investment house will have and use your SIN.

So obtaining someone's SIN in Canada is quite a big deal.

Not for medical records either. The use of our SIN is only permitted for those things that relate to taxable income - primarily for employment and investments.

Your SIN is recorded on your income tax records, year end income slips, year end slips for investment earnings, and that sort of thing. And of course your employer is allowed to ask for, retain and use your SIN in reporting your income, tax deductions, etc. Similarly your bank and your investment house will have and use your SIN.

So obtaining someone's SIN in Canada is quite a big deal.
USA is very lacking on privacy laws too.
The EU has us beat hands down on privacy laws, not sure about Canada.
Very cool about your SIN

The reason I say most all Americans SSN number has been exposed though is some of the worst offenders have been state, local, federal government hacks.
Now go and throw in every bank, doctor, dentist, employer, insurance company, anyone or company that takes a loan application, anyone who has some kind of agreement for services like cell phone, Internet, alarm systems, home service companies, and whoever else I am forgetting and imagine the number of hacks including unknown and unreported hacks.

To top it all off most times you are giving these numbers to strangers in person, on the internet and over the phone.
Anyone who asks for it regarding any service involved money, payment or service.

Back