Understanding what to look for.......

I understanding buying a good brand or the factory oem filter but what makes one better than another beyond marketing?

When Im at the store and inspecting a new filter in the box, what should I be looking for? Do I want a heavier filter? Or a larger filter that fits? My understanding is that most filter around 20 microns so how can one be better than another?

I know this is a broad question but Im just trying to get an understanding how one filter can also be rated to 20,000 miles and one other filter which has the same filtering media and rating, cant last this long?

How can this be? Sincerely/confused

What's important to you when it comes to an oil filter?

Q: "My understanding is that most filter around 20 microns so how can one be better than another?"
What makes one better than the other in the efficiency world (if that's important to you), is which one filters the higher percentage of 20 micron particles.
A filter that removes 99% of all particles 20u or greater is better at keeping the oil cleaner than one that removes 50% >=20u, or one that removes 99% of all particles 40u or greater.

20,000 miles depends on lots of things. The most important thing about an oil filters is that it doesn't fail. The Air filter is the important filter.

Last edited:
I know this is a broad question but Im just trying to get an understanding how one filter can also be rated to 20,000 miles and one other filter which has the same filtering media and rating, cant last this long?
If they are rated different efficiencies and mileage rating, then the media is not the same.

Back