Understanding PAG- and PAO-Based Lubricants

wemay

Site Donor 2023

I found Tables 5 and six most interesting. The source being SHELL (major GTL producer as opposed to PAO...):

1610498409607.png

1610498543807.jpg

Yep, that's been discussed here before. PAO is not the best in terms of wear but excels in oxidative stability and cold-weather performance (although modern GTL Group III base stocks are nearly as good). This further illustrates the necessity of using a fully-formulated oil with approvals that demonstrate performance, rather than believing it's possible to formulate one's own oil via a SDS or PDS.

Thanks for the post.

This could only help him with the base oils – if someone wanted to formulate one's own oil via a SDS or PDS ;-)

And still I like my sentence, I'm almost proud of it, MolaKule. I could mentally underline and explain it in more than a dozen ways without finding more than two or three readings that were not exactly what I meant. Yesterday I went shopping immediately after I noted it and returned only hours later, so I still know my sentence inside and out. I'm not the best driver, but I love my sentence. It's brilliant.

AN like OSP and esters don't seem to shine in SDS, estolides or the methylated paraffins I don't know; PIBs remain the most solid foundation of an SDS that Bitog millionaires aren't made from. Most hygiene as such is generally funny on here.

Last edited:
ExxonMobil loves to be intransparent and selective, easily misleading in such presentations and while among hundreds of PAO screaming products it sounds somewhat attractive to find one ostentatiously denoting some correcting AN there are lots of alternatives as mentioned that also aren't seen in SDS.
What I'm shown there by Nulon is just a product bulletin free of all data and everything, I regret.

ExxonMobil loves to be intransparent and selective, easily misleading in such presentations and while among hundreds of PAO screaming products it sounds somewhat attractive to find one ostentatiously denoting some correcting AN there are lots of alternatives as mentioned that also aren't seen in SDS.
What I'm shown there by Nulon is just a product bulletin free of all data and everything, I regret.
Yep I understand that but this oil has been tested. It is used by the leading teams in V8 Supercars in Australia. I have never heard a bad word about this oil. I also haven't heard anyone say anything else was better for racing or highly modified engines. Nulon make a PAO and ester blend as well because a lot of people asked them to. Because, that's what we have been told is the best for a long time in oil advertising.

And yet many their oils carry some of the most stringent approvals and specifications on the planet. Plus they are the most clear when it comes to which approvals the oil actually has and which it does not have, in great contrast to so many unethical blenders and formulators that like to obfuscate the facts.

I’ll take that any day way before I get all googly eyed over somebody’s Internet prognostications about the supposed merits of base stocks.

Why would their oils not carry the usual approvals? They'd not even need their half of Infineum to have valid implications of merits get into print for their bottles, they could just buy somewhere like lots of no-names do to have theirs carry the same. Irrelevant to an explanation of why a derivation of Nulon superiority shouldn't look that thin.

Interest beyond your grand topos should remain allowed. VW 504/507 Baumuster 2020 will never be for me. Aniline points and viscosity indices, densities and decompositions et al. may be bearing my loads or not, I'll take the liberty to see any day over your ideas of A40 merits and demerits rowing your boat.

Why would their oils not carry the usual approvals? They'd not even need their half of Infineum to have valid implications of merits get into print for their bottles, they could just buy somewhere like lots of no-names do to have theirs carry the same. Irrelevant to an explanation of why a derivation of Nulon superiority shouldn't look that thin.

Interest beyond your grand topos should remain allowed. VW 504/507 Baumuster 2020 will never be for me. Aniline points and viscosity indices, densities and decompositions et al. may be bearing my loads or not, I'll take the liberty to see any day over your ideas of A40 merits and demerits rowing your boat.
Like I said.

Back