Understanding Contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, thank you for the link. Diesel engines certainly have some great filtration challenges.

According to Cummins Service Bulletin 3810340-04, "except for the B series model, all
turbocharged Cummins engines must use bypass filtration and bypass filtration is strongly
recommended for use on all naturally aspirated engines.

Since the B series is the one used in the Dodge/RAM pickups, I wonder if bypass deletion was just a cost savings measure, or if the turbo has lower boost on the B, or some other reason that bypass was not considered necessary. From the Bulletin quote, it certainly is strongly recommended.

I would like to see some technical explanations on handling gasoline contamination in filtration, but that wouldn't be coming from Cummins/Fleetguard.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I would like to see some technical explanations on handling gasoline contamination in filtration, but that wouldn't be coming from Cummins/Fleetguard.

Gasoline-diluted oil makes the oil flow through the bypass filter much more easily.... which usually happens anyway when the oil is warm.

Other than that, the only other thing you have to worry about is excess fuel acting as a solvent to the glues in the filter manufacturing process. Nothing else changes.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Interesting, thank you for the link. Diesel engines certainly have some great filtration challenges.

According to Cummins Service Bulletin 3810340-04, "except for the B series model, all
turbocharged Cummins engines must use bypass filtration and bypass filtration is strongly
recommended for use on all naturally aspirated engines.

Since the B series is the one used in the Dodge/RAM pickups, I wonder if bypass deletion was just a cost savings measure, or if the turbo has lower boost on the B, or some other reason that bypass was not considered necessary. From the Bulletin quote, it certainly is strongly recommended.

Dodge did not want to use a bypass filter, too much cost for them, not enough benefit. So Cummins then agreed to say it is not needed, IMO! Rather Dodge had put better fuel filters on their common rail diesel trucks, they ignored that because again, its not about the customer experience past the warrantee, its about maximum profit and competition with other truck sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back